Blind Molly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CallMeIshmael95

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, about 3 months ago my cremesicle molly got a bad case of popeye. I treated it the best I could, but I don't think it helped because when the swelling went down her eye almost fogged over. When the fogging went away all that was left of her eye was a very small black dot.

After that, she mainly just lays down on the bottom of the tank in the corner and doesn't swim unless I'm next to the tank. She's also lost a lot of meat on her since then and looks like she has almost no abdomen. I thought it might be an internal problem.

But then my boyfriend was looking at her yesterday and asked if she was blind in one of her eyes. He then pointed out that she might lay in corner so she can't get snuck up on by the other fish because she only has one good eye. What do you guys think? And is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable?

I couldn't find Vienna last night or at all yesterday.. I found her this morning.. Barely alive. She got tangled in a plant and didn't have the strength get herself out. I don't think she is going to make it...

She isn't responsive to any of the food I'm trying to give her. And her belly is absolutely nothing.
Here's a picture...

image-2096756690.jpg

The eye you see is the blind one.

The only thing she is responsive to is me moving her around. She will flap her fins but it looks like only one gill is working.

Would it be better if I ended it now, or waited until she died? Help me, please. She's my favorite and I hate to see her this way...

Poor girl :(. You will need to make your own decision here but I would recommend euthanasia rather than have her suffer unduly. If you need further advice, please ask any questions!

She ended up dying about 20 minutes after this post. I looked over her body a little more and I've almost convinced myself that she had internal parasites, by the way her stomach was concave and her eyes acting funny. What made it even worse was that she'd been like this for months and I didn't help her at all because I thought she was just blind.

Luckily, none of my other fish are having any of the symptoms she had.

Back
Top Bottom