Blue Gourami Hole in the Head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doododo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

One of my blue gouramis succumbed to what appears to be hole in the head disease. That, or it was another fish attack, I have a couple of Bala Sharks that might've done him in. When I checked my pH, it was extremely acidic (south of six on a test strip). Beyond that, my aquarium hadn't had a water change in a while. My water hardness is pretty bad where I live, so my water is always extremely hard. Also, my filter was filthy. I hadn't changed it in month.

Anyway I noticed the gourami with a hole in its head that grew over about four days. I did a 66% water change on the 30gal tank, added a pinch of table salt, and a host of prep mixes for freshwater but it was too late for the little guy. When he started bleeding from the hole in the head and I though I could see some grey matter, I decided it was time to put him down. I stuck him in a container and dropped some ice in, and waited till he keeled over.

Here are some photos. I'd like to know if this might be a fungal thing, and if I should fear for my one other blue gourami/fish (two balas, couple zebra minnows, four neon somethings, a tiger barb). If it is, how should I treat it? I'd imagine antifungal medication.

Dying Gourami - Imgur

Im sorry you lost a fish and im even more sorry to explain he may have been treated still. Its believed that hole in head is caused by poor water quality.

It is recomended to start water changes and gravel vacs twice a week as well as treating with stress coat.

I've done a water change and the tank's looking significantly better overall. Gonna increase frequency of my water changes. I gravel vac'ed it pretty well, too.

Back
Top Bottom