Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2003, 07:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Blue Gourami with Bent Spine

My blue "opaline" gourami which I've had since 1995 has developed a bent spine, and sometimes gasps for air. I'm guessing that this is fish tuberculosis and/or old age.

Is there a cure for the TB? If not, is there a humane way to put the fish to sleep?

Thanks,

Roy
http://www.webservertimes.com

Old 06-18-2003, 08:20 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Is there a cure for the TB? If not, is there a humane way to put the fish to sleep?
The cure for TB is typically more than most will go to, it is a long process and most recommend destroying the fish (since TB is contagious to your other fish and yourself). The most humane method I am aware of is to put the fish in an ICE cold bucket of water. The shock to the fishes system will kill it very quickly and it is said the fish doesn't feel it.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Phew! I didn't know fish TB was contagious to humans - unless you touched the fish with open sores or scratches on your hands. At least, that's what I've read.

Thanks for the "humane" advice. I just can't do the flush-down-the-toilet routine.

Roy
Old 06-18-2003, 08:25 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

If you have any openings in the skin and your hand is in the water, it can be transmitted, you don't just have to touch the fish.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bent, blue gourami, gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com