Blue Gourami with Bent Spine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rtroxel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My blue "opaline" gourami which I've had since 1995 has developed a bent spine, and sometimes gasps for air. I'm guessing that this is fish tuberculosis and/or old age.

Is there a cure for the TB? If not, is there a humane way to put the fish to sleep?

Thanks,

Roy
http://www.webservertimes.com

Is there a cure for the TB? If not, is there a humane way to put the fish to sleep?

The cure for TB is typically more than most will go to, it is a long process and most recommend destroying the fish (since TB is contagious to your other fish and yourself). The most humane method I am aware of is to put the fish in an ICE cold bucket of water. The shock to the fishes system will kill it very quickly and it is said the fish doesn't feel it.

Phew! I didn't know fish TB was contagious to humans - unless you touched the fish with open sores or scratches on your hands. At least, that's what I've read.

Thanks for the "humane" advice. I just can't do the flush-down-the-toilet routine.

Roy

If you have any openings in the skin and your hand is in the water, it can be transmitted, you don't just have to touch the fish.

Back
Top Bottom