Bony problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hazel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
I'm new to this forum and have joined because I cannot find the answer anywhere.

I have 5 platys one of which has not been using it's tail for quite a few weeks now. The tail hangs down and is not fanned out. The fish has seemed absolutely fine - coping with it's disability well, feeding normally. Nothing has changed in our routine and all other fish are healthy. Yesterday I noticed that there was a lump on the side of the fish where the tail starts to hang down and with the light behind the fish it was black but under the skin.

Today the fish is keeping a low profile and no longer in the thick of things as usual. She has eaten and is ok but now that lump looks like a bone sticking out of her side.

Can anyone give me any ideas. She has eaten today but like I said is keeping a low profile!! The bit sticking out is cream coloured it is not round but squared off and there is no damage/disease to the skin!

Hope some knows. As far as I know all levels are fine. Other fish in the tank are a red tailed shark, 3 neons, an algae eater. 48 litre tank. Set up 18 months

Thanks

That lump may be a tumor or some other internal disease. My cheap bettas from the big box stores get those kind of lumps a lot. Unfortunately, it never ends well. I haven't found a good treatment yet.

Thanks BigJim. Our platys didn't come from a big store but an enthusiast. It just seems that the lump inside has broken through the skin and is now sticking out - like a broken bone. This and it's disabled tail makes me wonder if it has had an injury but I don't know what.

Just hopes she makes it but to be honest, I fear the worst!

H

I picked up some large female guppies from a friend to take to another friend, and one of the females had a bent spine, which caused her tail to hang down like you described. She swam around fine, had babies, etc., and it was from rebreeding the same fish over and over, which could be the issue with the ones you got from a fellow fish owner, like inbreeding.

Thanks dkpate.

It could be!! It wasn't bent when we got her which is probably at least 6 months ago - it's just been like that for the last few weeks!!

To update - yesterday the cream "thing" was going - looks like the skin is growing back over it.

Today - seems less sticking out again. The scales are not damaged but the lump is still there and like I said without the cream bit. She is still hiding but is coming out for food. Yesterday she did a poo which is good!

Here's hoping a secondary disease doesn't get her. I think she's got a long way to go for recovery if she does!!!

Any more thoughts and suggestions would be great. Thanks x

Unfortunately she died overnight. Looking at her out of the water there was no sign of trauma to the scales - just the bent back ! So it will remain a mystery.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions
xxxx

Back
Top Bottom