Bruno pleco death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghost knife

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an established aquarium with all water perimeters "normal" and just recently a friend had to rehome his 5 month old Bruno plec. He was quite a decent size at around 8" long. I followed all guidelines to the book in introducing him to my aquarium and for the last 2 days has settled very well and seemed to be happy. Only for me to find him dead on the bottom of the aquarium this morning. He looked completely untouched as he was by far the biggest fish in the tank so he wasn't being picked on. Is there any reason why this has happened? Any suggestions will be greatly received. Many thanks.

Hi, Yes he came with wafers which I was making sure he had access to. He seemed very happy and content so can't understand what's happened.

I'm guessing that since this is the biggest fish in there, the plecos bioload caused an ammonia and nitrite spike. did you immediately test your water? what kind of test kit?

I used an API freshwater master test kit. I took the levels before I introduced him to the tank (which is 200 litres) and after I removed him. No difference in both tests.

I used an API freshwater master test kit. I took the levels before I introduced him to the tank (which is 200 litres) and after I removed him. No difference in both tests.

hmm. most fish can survive quite some time without being fed, i don't think that was the problem. did it show any signs of illness? weird behavior? any cuts or abrasions?

He was absolutely perfect. that's why I am scratching my head as to why it could happen.

Was he definitely dead? My Pleco's sleep
Upside down sometimes, if I didn't know better I would think they were dead too. Just throwing it out there..

You made my heart skip a beat but he was definitely dead. His eyes were clouded and was lying face down and stiff as a board. I picked him up out of the tank with my hands so I think he would have definitely woke up. Just can't believe its happened.

One thing to check with new Plecos is their underside. They can look fat, but some will be sucked up underneath and actually starving.

Another thought, did he have access to real wood to chew on in his old home. Long term care for many Plecos involves needing wood in their diet.

He may have had an underlying problem, that just didn't show symptoms.

Keep an eye on your other fish.

Planet Catfish is where I check first for any Catfish info. :)

^^^ i would also suggest asking your friend if they added any new fish recently that could have given the pleco a disease.

You made my heart skip a beat but he was definitely dead. His eyes were clouded and was lying face down and stiff as a board. I picked him up out of the tank with my hands so I think he would have definitely woke up. Just can't believe its happened.
Sorry about that.

Dont know what the problem here was, but id say it could be the change in water.. your friend and you can have different water hardness or TDS etc. Stuff that people tend to overlook.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom