Bulging eye on Cardinal Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orcus332

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,
I have yet another problem with my 10 gallon tank. I have a pair of GBRs and 5 neon tetras in my heavily planted tank. One of the tetras that I bought about 3 weeks ago now has a huge bulging eye. Check out the 2 pictures below to see how the left eye looks. I don't see any blood in it. The fish is now at a 45 degree angle with the surface of the water and breathing very rapidly. This occured some time overnight. I fed them around 6pm last night and he was eating just fine. There don't seem to be any fights occuring in the tank either. I did move him to a makeshift safehaven in the tank so no one can pick on him. He seems stressed out enough already.

I'm currently a week and a half into treating my tank for Ich (using heat, temp at 88F). None of my fish have had signs of Ich for a week and a half now. My nitrate levels are at 10ppm. Let me know if you need more water paramaters.

Thanks for the help!

*EDIT*
Well it's only been about a half hour since I posted the original method and the tetra is just about toast. I'm still interested in hearing what this fish may have had if anyone knows.

Attachments

• eye1_190.jpg
    eye1_190.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 381
  • eye2_674.jpg
    eye2_674.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 333
Pop eye is usually a secondary condition caused by water parameters or stress or injury. Is there anything the fish may have scratched his eye on? It may be a result of stress of the ich. Did you add extra aeration when you increased the temp of the tank?

Ammonia and nitrite readings would help as well.

Back
Top Bottom