Came home to death in aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nerdelish

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I was gone for 9 days on a road trip. I have three tanks: 5 gallon with a betta and a rabbit snail; 29 gallon community; and 10 gallon with 5 guppies, a mystery snail, a CPO and a small RCS colony. I did water changes on all aquariums right before taking off. All perameters were great: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and nitrates ranging from 5-15 ppm prior to water change.

I came home and there was death in my 10 gallon tank. I lost my mystery snail and CPO. Both had been gone for a few days. Guppies and RCS were totally fine. Water parameters were great: ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 15. Any ideas? I had someone feeding every other day, and the food was carefully measured beforehand.

Do I need to worry about the rest of the tank? Any idea what could have happened? I find it odd that my snail and CPO died but my RCS are just fine...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't worry too much if the rest look fine. Hopefully so?

Every trip I manage to have a fish lost despite the fact the only thing that changes is setting up an automatic feeder (and the air con doesn't come on sometimes).

Pathogenic Bacteria lives on fish tissue, not in the substrate or on ornaments. It is present in all declorinated water at low levels. If you see a sick fish, take it out. But that does not mean they will necessarily all get sick, it only effects weak fish as long as you catch it early on. If you try to save poor little fisheys life and let a ovbiously sick fish swim around in your tank....yes it will grow and multiply and they will all eventually get sick and die without meds, i dont care what people on here say or how crystal clean your water is. That is why i take the approach i do to giving people specific advice about diseases and medications, rather than ask questions about your water paramaters or stocking levels.
It really is irrelevant AFTER the fact that your fish is now sick. Yes it is important to know but there are others on forums that do that...plenty! Just not my approach. Sorry i did not tell you its Aeromonas bacteria or hemmoraghic septicima, i usually try to help people thuroughly but sometimes we all have to live and learn, even the hard way.
Sorry for the rant.
Guppies are inbred short lived and prone to disease that will wipe out your tank and force you to bleach the living daylight out of it before you can use it again. You see a sick one, yank it out and put it down. Keep a close eye on them and dont crowd. Keep 1 male to 3 females and feed them alot, 3 times a day diffrent foods. Keep your water clean and avoid stress, and you can have sucess even with cheap petstore guppies.

I wouldn't worry too much if the rest look fine. Hopefully so?

Every trip I manage to have a fish lost despite the fact the only thing that changes is setting up an automatic feeder (and the air con doesn't come on sometimes).

Yeah the shrimp and guppies were fine. I have been having hair algae problems on my 5 gallon (not the death tank) so I bought a phosphate test kit from api. I tested phosphates in the ten gallon (where the deaths occured) and the results seem to be pretty high: 2 ppm. Could that be causing health problems?

Pathogenic Bacteria lives on fish tissue, not in the substrate or on ornaments. It is present in all declorinated water at low levels. If you see a sick fish, take it out. But that does not mean they will necessarily all get sick, it only effects weak fish as long as you catch it early on. If you try to save poor little fisheys life and let a ovbiously sick fish swim around in your tank....yes it will grow and multiply and they will all eventually get sick and die without meds, i dont care what people on here say or how crystal clean your water is. That is why i take the approach i do to giving people specific advice about diseases and medications, rather than ask questions about your water paramaters or stocking levels.
It really is irrelevant AFTER the fact that your fish is now sick. Yes it is important to know but there are others on forums that do that...plenty! Just not my approach. Sorry i did not tell you its Aeromonas bacteria or hemmoraghic septicima, i usually try to help people thuroughly but sometimes we all have to live and learn, even the hard way.
Sorry for the rant.
Guppies are inbred short lived and prone to disease that will wipe out your tank and force you to bleach the living daylight out of it before you can use it again. You see a sick one, yank it out and put it down. Keep a close eye on them and dont crowd. Keep 1 male to 3 females and feed them alot, 3 times a day diffrent foods. Keep your water clean and avoid stress, and you can have sucess even with cheap petstore guppies.

Yeah the fish do not seem sick at all. I have been keeping an eye on them. I just wasn't sure what could have happened to the snail and cpo...since both my RCS and guppies have been fine. Good to know about the bacteria.

Yeah the shrimp and guppies were fine. I have been having hair algae problems on my 5 gallon (not the death tank) so I bought a phosphate test kit from api. I tested phosphates in the ten gallon (where the deaths occured) and the results seem to be pretty high: 2 ppm. Could that be causing health problems?

Not generally unless it spiked suddenly but even then I would be surprised. Not sure how sensitive shrimp are to phosphates though.

I had phosphate well past 5ppm consistently with no issues. I dose phosphate ferts so it is usually somewhere around 2ppm.

Back
Top Bottom