Can someone help me identify this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpheng

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, so I just bought a Shubunkin from the aquarium. It was previously returned although they said it was perfectly healthy, while I brought it home and introduced it into my tank I noticed a bump right above its right gill. Its worrying me about what it is. Any input on it would be greatly appreciated

Here are some pics of the fish and the bump :

IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

Untitled.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

Hi! Welcome to AA!!! It honestly looks like lymphocytis. Its a viral infection that causes cell enlargement. There is no cure or treatment and the virus must be allowed to run its course. Isolating the infected fish recommended because it can be spread. Many do recommend euthanasia. Limiting stress, maintaining healthy water and not overstocking are recommended as well. Realistically, the shubunkin really shouldnt be in the tank with the other fancies. Shubunkins are pond fish that can grow well over 12in and need ample amounts of water for ideal health. Please ask if you have any questions! :)

Hi there, thank you and thanks for the input. I don't know anything about lymphocytis and how it can be treated. Can you tell me how infectious it is as I won't be able to isolate it for another day or two. As for introducing shubunkin, the sales associate told me it is perfectly fine as though my tank is 95 gallons as it has 6 other fancies in it.

I managed to get a couple better focused pictures to make sure about the problem.

http://puu.sh/Xe7V
http://puu.sh/Xe6A

Thank you for the pics! Realistically, there isnt a treatment available to us aquarists. If you seek the aid of an aquatic vet, some may be willing to adminster anti-virals for off-label use but its questionable of whether they actually help or not. Lymphocytis typically will run its course on its own timeframe. But, I dont know what the possibilities of infection are for your other fish even after the active phase of the virus has passed. It typically is not spread between different fish species (ie, goldfish to molly) but it can be spread among the same species (ie, goldfish to goldfish). Do some research- there may be newer technologies for addressing it that I am not aware of that may be available for you. That said, its not a fatal disease but does suppress the immune system to some degree which may lead to suseptibility to other diseases that a fish with a healthy immune system would not be affected by. Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom