Celestial swimming sideways,one gill not moving.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ctvll

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
just today I noticed my celestial( in a 55 gal tank w/ 2 ranchus) was doing this semi-sideways drift/ swim and on closer inspection i noticed one gill does not seem to be opening.I have been treating the tank w/ Melafix (5 days )since my small ranchu had a white spot on tail ( almost gone ).I tested the water ammonia -0ppm,Nitrate- .25ppm.This is a fairly new tank 3 weeks(bio-filter 2wks old). I did a20 % water change today,prior to noticing this .I added aquaium salt and used Stress coat to de-clorify.I also noticed he is missing a few scales.Any suggestions ,does this sound like a sick fish or sick tank?

sorry, correction that was Nitrites ( not nitrates) I tested for . Im obviously new to this :oops:

Its possible your celestial is suffering from nitrite poisoning, as your nitrite levels were most likely higher before the water change. Nitrite competes with oxygen at the gills and the fish suffocate. Good move doing a water change; you're going to have to keep on top of those parameters as obviously your tank is still cycling. The salt will also help if nitrite poisoning is the prob; its the recommended treatment.

It may not be that tho, or that may not be the only problem. When you say your ranchu had a white spot; what sort of spot did it look like? Did it happen to look like ich (like a grain of salt)? I ask because ich can infest the gills and not be readily apparent, and can also cause breathing probs when thats where it locates itself. I know its tough, but try to see into the gills themselves, and see if they look swollen or unusual.

Of course, these are all guesses; but I think those are the places to start. Let us know what happens and how things go.

Thank you Allivymar,I did a (10%)water change today,and actually he seems better ,kind of going in and out of this wierd swimming/gill not moving thing w/mostly normal swimming .I tested again nitrites better(though not 0 yet-hard to tell with my kit ,theres blue 0ppm and lavendar .25ppm is the next mark,less purple than yesterday)to answer your question about the Ranchu ,I really think it was an injury(from my ryukin when I had them in the same tank) it was isolated to a small corner of her tail ,looked like a tear,then a spot and 5 days of Melafix seems to have reduced it to a very,very fine line.I'll keep doing small water changes (the water does look cloudy)and checking levels.What about Nitra-Zorb? was thinking of picking up tommarrow (if I can).Shuold I isolate this fish ,since he seems to be the only one affected?

Yeah, I'd prob isolate him; good idea. Its possible it was simply a case of nitrite poisoning (aka brown blood) but better safe then sorry. This way if it IS disease, hes not continually exposing your others to it, and having him alone in a darker quiet place will reduce stress levels. Continue to keep an eye on those water parameters and be prepared to water change :)

As for the injury, whew. The first thing I think of when I hear a white spot is ich; good to see that wasn't the issue.

Back
Top Bottom