Clown Loach - can anybody confirm Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WendiDell said:
Hi Luna,
haven't seen you on AA for a while. How are all your fish doing. The last we spoke was when your Pleco had a major case of ick. I know he didn't make it but I hope some of the others did.
Nice to see you back on AA :D

Everyone else is doing great :) and gain I'd like to thank you for the time and effort you put into helping me out with my pleco :)

Sent from my iPhone

I once used ick away(I think) without knowing anything about what i was doing, i did have a clown loach at the time and all my fish where fine after that

Everyone else is doing great :) and gain I'd like to thank you for the time and effort you put into helping me out with my pleco :)

Sent from my iPhone

I only wish we had been able to do it sooner. We may have been able to save him.
Another thing about the salt baths, is that you can give a salt bath to the fish that can tolerate the salt and the ones that can't take salt don't have to be in a salted tank. That way you can bathe all your fish in salt except your Black Ghost knife fish. Him you can keep in the 84o FW without the salt. Your other fish will still get the benefits of the salt and the higher temp.
I also found a good homeopathic way to treat Popeye, well one kind of Popeye. There are 2 reasons for Popeye 1 is from bacteria, that one needs antibiotics, but my way will reduce the swelling and pressure. There by limiting eye damage and helping the medicine work.
The other Popeye is caused by injury. It's not 100%, but a good sign of it being Popeye from injury is that only 1 eye is swelling. The other eye will be normal.
This worked on an adolescent Cobalt Blue Cichlid and again on an adult Opaline Gourami. Both are fairly hardy fish, so it may not work on the more delicate varieties, but not much does.
Anyway, it was pretty simple I separated the sick fish and put it in a 5g tank with 2 tablespoons of Epsom's Salt, then everyday for the next 3-4 days I did 75% PWC and added fresh Epsom's Salt after every PWC.
By the next day the swelling was down 50%, on the second day I could barely see any swelling, the third and fourth day were to make sure it was gone.
Both fish are still doing great. The Cichlid has no ill effects from the Popeye, no sign he ever had it. The Gourami is healthy but he did suffer some permanent eye damage. He still seems to be able to see out of the eye but it's now just a pin point in size. It hasn't affected him in any way though.
So if your fish get Popeye, you can treat it easily and inexpensively.
And I don't mind ever helping someone try to save their fish. It's time spent trying to do something good.
If I don't talk to anyone before Thurs, Have a Great St Paddy's Day!

Ich Treatment

Hey folks,

I am already treating with salt, I started adding it last night and finished this afternoon. Already have good oxygen in the tank. I haven't raised the temp though as my home is about 82 already and I'm fine doing it a bit longer.

Any of you who can recognize it, am I seeing Ich? The fish with the most is the one which was recently stuck inside an ornament and is my biggest Clown Loach. He was obviously stressed and I'm thinking that was my trigger for this.

I've never treated this early before, usually I want to confirm it... And right now I only see it on the one fish.

Anyway, please take a look:
DSC_8333 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
DSC_8409 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sorry, not the best pics... He's good at hiding...

You can see it's just a few white spots, but enough to get me salting my tanks.
When using the heat method to literally destroy the organism you'll want to set your tank temperature at 86-87 degrees. Be sure to slowly increase the tank temperature no more than 2 degrees per hour. It is VERY important that when you do this you make sure you have A LOT of surface water movement to allow oxygen to enter the water. Warmer water decreases oxygen levels. After the tank reaches 86-87 degrees, maintain that temperature for about 10 days or a minimum of 4 days after you last saw signs of ich. You can combine this method with the salt method explained below.

Salt:
The type of salt you use is important. Do not use marine salt or cichlid salt. You will want to use Sodium chloride, NaCl. Aquarium salt is the most widely used form because it does not contain iodine or anti-caking agents that table salt does. That being said, I have used table salt without ill effects in an emergency. There are also several credible sources that agree that table salt is completely harmless to fish.
1 tablespoons per 10 gallons of water can be used if you combine this treatment with the heat method from above. Always dissolve the salt in some water before introducing it into y....our tank. Some fish will stress out to the point where the salt needs to be removed. If you see any signs of stress immediately do several water changes to remove the salt from the tank. Like the heat treatment, leave the salt in the tank for 10 days or 4 days after you last saw signs of ich. After about 14 days the salt can be removed by doing several 50% water changes.

This worked great for me

When using the heat method to literally destroy the organism you'll want to set your tank temperature at 86-87 degrees. Be sure to slowly increase the tank temperature no more than 2 degrees per hour. It is VERY important that when you do this you make sure you have A LOT of surface water movement to allow oxygen to enter the water. Warmer water decreases oxygen levels. After the tank reaches 86-87 degrees, maintain that temperature for about 10 days or a minimum of 4 days after you last saw signs of ich. You can combine this method with the salt method explained below.

Salt:
The type of salt you use is important. Do not use marine salt or cichlid salt. You will want to use Sodium chloride, NaCl. Aquarium salt is the most widely used form because it does not contain iodine or anti-caking agents that table salt does. That being said, I have used table salt without ill effects in an emergency. There are also several credible sources that agree that table salt is completely harmless to fish.
1 tablespoons per 10 gallons of water can be used if you combine this treatment with the heat method from above. Always dissolve the salt in some water before introducing it into y....our tank. Some fish will stress out to the point where the salt needs to be removed. If you see any signs of stress immediately do several water changes to remove the salt from the tank. Like the heat treatment, leave the salt in the tank for 10 days or 4 days after you last saw signs of ich. After about 14 days the salt can be removed by doing several 50% water changes.

This worked great for me

Although I have already treated (using marine salt, by the way), if you read the rest of the thread, I thank you very much for posting your advice. :)

Back
Top Bottom