Cockatoo Cichlid sick, haven't seen this before please take a look.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smcoyle87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've never seen this before, there are white areas around her eyes and it's not ich, it's not fuzzy like fungus either. Here are some pictures..

Attachments

• fem 1.jpg
    fem 1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 122
  • fem 2.jpg
    fem 2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 114
Ok so let me explain a little more..

There are 2 white patches on her head, one between her eyes and one a little behind and to the right of her eyes. she's acting lethargic but I've seen fungus before and this looks different.
Ive been doing water changes and she seems to like that. However these white patches are still there.
Another thing i noticed was that her mouth seems to be, not rotting away, but almost flaking a little.
Im really at a loss here.
I'll try and get better pictures from all angles soon.

If anyone has any input whatsoever please don't be shy.
She's getting worse and I don't know what to do. I've treated for bacteria and fungus and have even tried the broad spectrum treatment "tetra lifeguard"
Are they any medications out there that ppl swear by??

I simply cannot figure out what this fish has.
Thank you

Since it's been a week, i'll update again.
her mouth still looks kinda flaky, almost like its rotting.
The two white patches near her eyes (but on her head) got bigger. A couple little white spots have appeared at the base of her two little swimming fins (i dont know what they are called).
Im reluctant to think its ich because of those white patches on her head.
#truly at a loss

Hi! Ill try to help a bit. Im sure you have been asked this before but what are your tank parameters? Is the fish in question new or are there any other new fish? Is the fish in question appear stressed to any degree (changes in color, appetite, unusual behaviors, bullied by other fish, etc)? What exactly have you used to date for treatment & length of time each treatment was used (incl all meds, salt, etc)? What is your tank temp? Some more info will help to try & figure out the best course of treatment here!

EDIT- This is DEF not ich!

Last edited:
Either bacterial or fungal, but definitely not Ich.

Many mouth issues are bacterial, so I am thinking bacterial. Lower the temp to below 76 degrees (74-75). Treat with both Maracyn and Maracyn 2 for the recommended lengths of time on the box.

Is she Pineconing???

Same thing happened to my male do you think it's dropsy?? Sorry my guy didn't last to long after this happened.

Man have I lost some apistos in the past to this very thing. I'll tell you what works for me but keep in mind I keep all my apistos in 20 gallon longs with leaf litter for substrate and one school of dither tetras per breeding tank very few live plants. For my apisto caca. I keep my tank at 77F pwc once a week 50%. The disease in question is a combination of bacterial and secondary fungal infection usually brought on by water quality issues,poor diet, too much carbon in the filter, vitamin deficiency or fighting or rough breeding. Also newly introduced fish could have brought the disease in not saying any of these apply to you just merely a basis to go on from my years of keeping these guys. With that said only combo that ever worked for me if disease is caught in time is herbtana and artemiss used in combination both made by microbe-lift. Both are natural organic treatments that won't cause bloat in apistos like other stronger meds do. Maracyn one and two also have worked for me in the past as well. I find the first two mentioned a bit easier to use on these delicate gems so it's up to you. But keep up water quality and add liquid vitamins(vita Chem) to their foods which can help out alot. Also aquarium salt can help if the other meds don't but keep an eye on them if treating with salt apistos vary in how much salt they can take, if you notice problems change water ASAP and discontinue the salt treatment. And I just have to say the obvious always remove the carbon if you even use any during treatment of meds. I hope this helps if I left anything out I'll think of it and get back to you any more questions ask away please I hope she pulls through.(fingers crossed)

Discusapisto said:
Man have I lost some apistos in the past to this very thing. I'll tell you what works for me but keep in mind I keep all my apistos in 20 gallon longs with leaf litter for substrate and one school of dither tetras per breeding tank very few live plants. For my apisto caca. I keep my tank at 77F pwc once a week 50%. The disease in question is a combination of bacterial and secondary fungal infection usually brought on by water quality issues,poor diet, too much carbon in the filter, vitamin deficiency or fighting or rough breeding. Also newly introduced fish could have brought the disease in not saying any of these apply to you just merely a basis to go on from my years of keeping these guys. With that said only combo that ever worked for me if disease is caught in time is herbtana and artemiss used in combination both made by microbe-lift. Both are natural organic treatments that won't cause bloat in apistos like other stronger meds do. Maracyn one and two also have worked for me in the past as well. I find the first two mentioned a bit easier to use on these delicate gems so it's up to you. But keep up water quality and add liquid vitamins(vita Chem) to their foods which can help out alot. Also aquarium salt can help if the other meds don't but keep an eye on them if treating with salt apistos vary in how much salt they can take, if you notice problems change water ASAP and discontinue the salt treatment. And I just have to say the obvious always remove the carbon if you even use any during treatment of meds. I hope this helps if I left anything out I'll think of it and get back to you any more questions ask away please I hope she pulls through.(fingers crossed)

Wow. Great post I might buy another pair and take your advise!!

Hey thanks for the replies guys.
I've since been testing the water parameters every other day for fluctuations and that sort of thing.
I've found that there was a little trace of ammonia! I don't know how that could have happened as its a pretty heavily planted tank and I do 20% pwc every thursday.
I was using stresscoat as a conditioner before i add the water to the tank but am now using prime. (Just to make sure that the new water isn't the source of ammonia.

I'm going try macryn and macryn 2.
Again thanks for the replies everyone. Maybe my pwc aren't enough!

As someone mentioned already (but worth repeating) don't forget to remove the carbon and the filter you use.

For apistos I would change 25% 2-3 times per week just like rams.

Back
Top Bottom