color changing tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duckkbutter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i currently have 3 neon tetra's floating happly around my 20 gal tank. I checked my water parameters and everythin is in balance. I noticed that one of my neon tetra's likes to lose all of its color. It kinda gets dark. Then just as quick as that happens, it goes back to its normal vibriant self. Does happen in a blink of an eye, but over several hours. Any ideas? disease?! Or is he just special?

Well your sig says you're cycling the 20gallon...and you have fish in it.
I'd say the neons are dropping their color due to stress, likely from ammonia and nitrite levels approaching toxicity.

If you choose to cycle with fish, you have to be prepared to do 25-75% water changes every single day until the cycle completes.

I asked that question because I wasn't sure if you just haven't updated your sig lately or if you were really cycling with Neon's. Neon's are not known for being hardy fish and being able to withstand the cycling process. Like Malkore said, it is most likely just stress from the cycle, but I'd watch them. Neon's are not a good fish to cycle with.

Do you know what your current water levels are?

Not only will neons be extremely stressed from the cycling process, they will be stressed on top of that from being in a group of only 3. I've seen neons change color like that and would agree that it is due to stress. Keep up on those pwcs! :) My neons wouldn't even live in a cycled tank when I tried to keep them. :roll:

I'd suggest returning the neon tetras and doing a fishless cycle or getting three zebra danios to help cycle the tank. If neither of those is an option you could get BIO-Spira from Marineland to instantly cycle the tank or Seachem's Stability to accelerate the cycle. If you stick with neons you should add three to five more once the cycle is complete as they do much better in a school.

Back
Top Bottom