color loss and fuzzy white patches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strawtarget

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So far, 2 fish affected. One cardinal tetra, one rummynose tetra.

A cardinal tetra was first. It had a loss of color, specifically around the dorsal fin. The area was slightly raised and white-ish.

One day later, a rummynose showed problems. It also had a white-ish raised spot right behind the dorsal fin. There was a white fuzzy spot on the dorsal fin itself, too. About the size of an ich grain, but mildly fuzzy. The fuzzy spot on the fin could be removed by stroking the fin with the tip of my finger, but the area on the fin where it was attached still showed discoloration.

Both fish stopped schooling with their shoals.

These fish went from having no noticeable symptoms to "omg, remove from tank!" in about 24 hours.

Tank is 37 gallon with a Rena XP2. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, ~5 ppm nitrate. 7.6 pH, which is on the high range for these fish, but I wouldn't think unreasonable.

The cardinals have been in the tank 2 weeks, and the rummynoses for about 1 week.

Any ideas what might be up?

Here's a picture of the rummynose. The white spots are visible in the picture, but they're not very clear. I've had fish with ich before, and those fish had very distinct white spots that were each very small. These spots are not the same size, and are mildly fuzzy.

r1.JPG

r2.JPG

it looks like velvet to me. Treat the tank with heat and salt, and treat these guys separately. You can google the cure for velvet, too. Most petstores carry medications, but most people try to use safer ways to treat their fish.

Back
Top Bottom