Cotton mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I noticed 2 of my fish ( a har. Raspbora and a bloodfin) has a white zit on their lower lip this morning. I'm assuming its cotton mouth, and I'm curious if I should just QT the two fish, or should I expect the whole tank to be infected and treat them with the others?

Thanks as always!

Also, is melafix ( or similar ) the best option to treat? Would hydrogen peroxide on a q-tip work at all? I added a half dose of aquarium salt this morning and raised the temp as well... Would that be enough? Params are 0,0,10

Super_Blueberry said:
I noticed 2 of my fish ( a har. Raspbora and a bloodfin) has a white zit on their lower lip this morning. I'm assuming its cotton mouth, and I'm curious if I should just QT the two fish, or should I expect the whole tank to be infected and treat them with the others?

Thanks as always!

Are you sure its cotton mouth? Can you get a picture or describe it?

The reason this is critical because columnaris looks like cotton mouth and it flourishes at higher temps so you may be doing more harm

Yea, pictures are hard, and these are the best. I also couldn't determine which of my rasboras had it this morning, and no new fish seemed to have it.
I found a compare/contrast article whether I saw that columaris does better in higher temps, so I went back to my 73 before it really got a chance to warm up. I also saw that it likes clean tanks, and mine is defiantly not over filtered. I'll check out that article now.

Attachments

• image-3717799608.jpg
    image-3717799608.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 65
  • image-241225144.jpg
    image-241225144.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 66
Well after reading that article, it doesn't really sound like either of those, but there are one or two similarities, so it's hard to say if it is either or not.....

Super_Blueberry said:
Well after reading that article, it doesn't really sound like either of those, but there are one or two similarities, so it's hard to say if it is either or not.....

I hear ya. I've had the same problem. Thats why you want to treat with a wide spectrum medication. Like the furan II and kanaplex. The best thing to do is keep the tank as clean as you can. When my rainbows get colomnaris I do a partial water change like every two days. It tends to clear it up. I can't tell what the fish has but that medication should help. If not post your results again. :)

Back
Top Bottom