Crowntail with black tips on fins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jadedrain_06

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had Rama for about 4-5 days. The day I got him I checked the nitrates one more time and they were 20ppm and I have heard that anything below 40ppm is good. His fin tips were originally red and last night I noticed they were black. They haven't curled and seem to be there normal length. The black has not gone up the webbing just the tips. He has a good appetite and is wandering throughout the tank. He also isn't puffing out as much as he did the first couple of days. I tried to use a mirror to get a better look at his fins and encourage him to puff out. He did attack the mirror lol but didn't really open up. He is a picky guy already when it comes to eating (he likes the filter turned off) so I figured maybe the 20ppm was too high for him? Did a 90% WC and brought it down to 10ppm. Will probably do another tomorrow just didn't want to overly disturb him by continuously having to net him to move him for WC or stress him out with potential temp changes. His tank is between 73-78 degrees. I am thinking fin rot from nitrate burns. I had a goldfish awhile back that had ammonia burns so I figured it could happen with nitrates as well. Also I am not sure if it was poor water conditions from being in a tiny unheated cup at Petsmart. Any advice or other potential diagnoses are more then welcome. Thanks! =)

Can you post a pic? It may just be his coloring coming out now he's in a proper home. :) When doing a PWC you don't need to take him out of his tank (unless it really stresses him out to be in there). When your nitrates reach 20ppm it's usually recommended to do a PWC. 25-50% should be fine.

I will attempt to get a picture but I haven't had much success. He is not flaring at all now but is super active. He doesn't seem as red as he has been....but that might be my anxiety of losing him. I tested last night and ammonia was 0ppm-0.25ppm and nitrites were 0ppm and nitrates were 10ppm. I plan on doing another change when hubby gets home.

Back
Top Bottom