Curing Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok my blue ram has ich. The tank is 40 gallons and in mid-cycle but almost done. I added the ram last weekend and he's been doing fine with the help of constant water changes and attention. However I came home and I see about 6-7 small spots on him scattered on his body. Ick most definitely. So I'm aware I need to raise the temperature, but to how much, and when do I execute the parasite? I can't add medications now because A. The tank is still building bacteria and B. Salt is harmful to the rams.

Raise the temp to 86 and vacuum the grave every other day

Does it matter when I vacuum? Like I said I'm in mid cycle so I've been doing it that often on a regular basis ^_^

Raise the temp 1-2 degrees every 4-6 hours unless the ich is severe. If it is severe raise it faster. Remember to have an airstone or lower the water level a bit.

Ok so I raised the temperature over the weekend, then all his spots disappeared! So I immediately did a water change and added (very little) salt, then when I checked this morning it's back! And there's a lot of it on him too

Stay the course keep temp at 86 degrees. Keep up on water changes and salt. They will most likely look worse before better and be patient can take more than a week for spots to go. Keep temp up for at least a week after you see the last spot then slowly turn temp back down. Also GBR like a little warmer water I keep mine at 80 regularly.

Stay the course keep temp at 86 degrees. Keep up on water changes and salt. They will most likely look worse before better and be patient can take more than a week for spots to go. Keep temp up for at least a week after you see the last spot then slowly turn temp back down. Also GBR like a little warmer water I keep mine at 80 regularly.

Sounds good I just got home everyone is fine. I think my tank is nearly cycled but I'm going to assume I can't add fish until I rid of the disease, correct?

I wouldn't add new fish until everyone is spot free for at least two weeks and your temperature is back to normal

Back
Top Bottom