Dead cory habrosus -your diagnosis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

memehuffer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

One of my wee cory habrosus was found dead yesterday... and after a spate of inexplicable guppy deaths. However, unlike the guppies, this one actually is exhibiting symptoms (although they must have happened quickly, as he looked perfect not 10 hours before he passed).

2 photos here:
Dead Cory 2 Photo by memehuffer | Photobucket
Dead Cory 1 Photo by memehuffer | Photobucket

Some sort of internal infection/bleeding... no idea what though!

Tank (10G, planted) is cycled and totally stable (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, ph 7.7)... I did have a hidden guppy corpse a couple weeks ago, but that's out... since the deaths have started, I've been super vigilant with PWCs and gravel vacs, and did a 50% change after removing the dead cory.

My main concern is the other 3 corys, the dwarf gourami and the 3 juvenile guppy in the tank... they all seem fine, but so did the guppies and the cories and then they were dead the next morning

I've went to LFS today, and was sold new spectrum Thera+ (for the garlic and vitamins)... asked the guy about whether I should dose the tank with broad spectrum antibiotics, but he advised against...

So, anyone know what the little cory dies of? And is there anything to do besides being daily 25% water changes and gravel cleanliness?

Would septicemia fit at all from bacterial infection? You could look into if anything has changed in the tank set-up or anything new added (e.g. tank temp has gone higher).

Back
Top Bottom