pimafix killed most of my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mindy2400

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in desperate need of help. I had 2 angelfish, both I've had since march 2020, 4 glo tetras I've had since March 2020, 2 rosey white fin tetras... I got in april, the other a week or 2 ago, 2 albino cory catfish I have had since april, 1 opalescent gourami I got in april, 4 mystery snails I got in april, and 2 bloodfin tetras, 1 got in in march or April, and the other I got 2 weeks ago. They were in a 32 gallon tank until the ammonia was high, then I found out my tank was overstocked, so I bought a 65 gallon tank last week. Currently, I've been testing the water every day, and the ph was around 6.6, nitrites were 0, nitrates were 0, ammonia was .25, and the temp was 76. When I put them in the bigger tank, I moved some of the old gravel, the old decorations, and I put the old filter in. I also went from a Topfin 30 filter, to a topfin 75. I had been vacuuming the grave a little bit every week, removing a significant amount (sometimes 50% to 70% bc of the ammonia levels), but bought the 65 gallon last week. I've been feeding g them the flake food, and algae wafers, along with some ofthe frozen blood worms, and brine and whatever else they have in that container, usually a little bit every day, sometimes skipping a day or 2 between feedings. A couple days ago, after work, I noticed the new bloodfin tetra had lost all color, and after calling petsmart, had no answers. The next morning, his colorways back again, so I stopped worrying. Last night when I got home from work, it looked like he had a cottony growth on his back, and on the other side was a smooth white patch. I put him in a plastic bag (with water, of course) and returned to the store for advice. I was told to treat with PIMAFIX. I asked if I should quarantine, and was told no. Last night I put the reccomend dose in, and soon saw the majority of the fish swimming near the top of the tank. So I turned up the aeration a little with the air stone, and turned the temp of the tank down 2 to 4°. This morning I awoke to the 2 bloodfins dead, the 4 neon tetras dead, and I think the 4 snails are also dead. ?? I immediately got the other tank set up, with all fresh water, treated it with Prime, and put all the fish in the old, smaller tank with the fresh water. The snails I also put in there with the hops that they are alive, and just tucked into their shells to protect themselves. I think the pimafix killed all of them. Also, this morning I noticed the 2 Angel fish looked to have clear strings coming from their fins. They all appear to be okay. One of the rosy white fin tetras did end up dying as well. Does ANYONE have any advice? It seems I can call 10 pet stores and get told 10 different things. I love my fish and absolutely hate this happened.

I was told that because I used some of the old gravel, and one of the old filters, and all the old decorations that it was unnecessary, that the good bacteria was already there, and cycling was unnecessary. I was told to set up the new tank, let it sit for a couple days, then move the fish. That's what I did, 9including treating new tank with Prime

Also....I have been testing the water daily, and it all was perfect. I took a same to the pet store last night to be tested again, just in case, and they also said it was perfect. I have recently discovered most of the pet store employees, at least in my area, are lost likely not to be trusted 100%.

Was your old tank cycled? Was you at a point where you was getting 0ppm ammonia and nitrites and your nitrates was rising?

Edit: Your water parameters arent perfect. You have 0 nitrates. That shows your aquarium isnt cycled.

I guess that is one of the many reasons I am seeking help here, instead of the pet store. I've been told a lot of different things from a lot of different stores. The 32 gallon I had set up for 3 months, and I had 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, ph 6.8ish, and ammonia would be super high... the pet store feed to tell me I had an overstocked tank. That's the reason I bought the 65 gallon. My nitrites and nitrates have all been at 0 for the last month or so, when I bought the master test kit

Quick information on the nitrogen cycle, in case you arent aware of what it is.

Fish waste produces ammonia, and nitrosomonas bacteria consumes that and produces nitrites. Nitrobacter bacteria consumes nitrites and produces nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites are highly toxic to fish. Nitrates are also toxic, but much less so especially in low concentrations. Nitrates are removed through your water changes.

Cycling the aquarium is the process of growing sufficient beneficial bacteria, mostly in your filter, to consume all the waste ammonia that the fish produce and then the resulting nitrites. You can tell when your tank is cycled because when you test you should be seeing 0ppm ammonia and nitrites and be seeing some nitrates as that is the end product.

Because you werent getting any nitrates this is a sign that you werent cycled.

Unfortunately, as you have found, some fish store employees arent very knowledgeable, and their job is to sell you fish, if they get sick sell you medication, and if they die sell you more fish. On the other hand there are fish store employees that are very knowledgeable because they are hobbyists themselves.

Im not really that knowledgable about medications, but Pimafix is an anti fungal medication. The only way i can see it killing fish is that it reduces oxygen in the water. It will however kill snails and other invertebrates. My opinion is that living in an uncycled tank eventually caught up with the fish. On the plus side, you are dealing with it correctly. Water test daily, if you see readable ammonia or nitrites do 25% water change. Eventually you will see daily 0ppm ammonia and nitrites and your nitrates will be rising. This is when your aquarium is cycled sufficiently to support the fish you currently have. You should try and speed up this process by introducing some filter media from an established tank or bottled bacteria (eg Dr Tims One and Only or Seachem Stability).

If getting the water nice and clean is enough to get your fish on their feet then i wouldnt medicate further. But see what other people say, as Im not an expert on medications. Be aware that medications with anti-bacterial properties might also kill off the beneficial bacteria that is responsible for you cycle, so using such should be cautioned while your cycle is still delicate. For this reason I would recommend, where possible, to medicate in a quarantine tank.

For info, I dont think you was overstocked in your 32 gallon.

It would take hours to type up everything you need to know to cycle your tank with fish. Probably why the people at the fish store are only giving you minimal info. I suggest you hit YouTube and search for aquarium fish in cycle. I believe there are some posts in the forum, but I hate reading all that personally videos are much easier. Here is one link to get you started. https://youtu.be/PWoiCqCvJco

Thank you both for the very helpful info! Now that I have the surviving fish out of the medicated 65 gallon tank, and into an unmedicated, uncycled tank, what do i do now? I'd like to get them back to the 65 gallon tank, but obviously need to put all fresh water in it first. I took the filter out per the recommendation on the bottle of pimafix. So, if i put all new water in the 65, and since all the decorations, and gravel, plus the old filter, can i put them back in the larger tank? Is the filter hazardous now that it was in when the fish got sick? I feel awful about all of this and am so worried they will not make it

I took the filter out of the 65 last night just before putting th medicine in
Ok. That is more likely what killed the fish. You only have to remove any carbon from the filter not remove the whole filter.

With 2 tanks, i would use them both to separate healthy and unhealthy fish. Re set up your 65 gallon, and put your healthy fish in there. Use your 32 gallon as a quarantine tank to medicate unhealthy fish.

Do a fish in cycle on both tanks. Test water parameters daily, if you see detectable ammonia or nitrites do a 25% water change. If you have access to filter media from an established filter (maybe you have a friend who keeps fish) see if you can add some of that to the filters. If you cant, then add some bottled bacteria into the systems. Make sure that the filter on the medication tank doesnt contain carbon as this will absorb any medication.

Also, the stores have sold me a lot of different things.. including: API accu clear,API quick start, Topfin biological cleaner, and Topfin water clarifier, and prime. What do I put in the 65 when i put all fresh water in there? Also, the remaining fish, i believe (and hope) will survive. They are: 2 angels, 1 opalescent gourami, 1 rosy white tailed tetra, and 2 albino Cory's. Should I put the 2 filters that were in the tank right before they got sick? Or start with 2 new filters? And the 32 gallon had a lot of gravel still from when it was set up before I moved everyone out to the 65. Will that be good to put in the filter of the 65 for biological stuff? Is the bottle biological stuff the reccomend type? :banghead::banghead:

The filter itself was still running, plus I had an air stone set up putting air in the tank. I just took out the charcoal and the pads that help them..i thought that was the think to do so the filter didnt take the medicine out with the charcoal?

I would just set up the equipment you have, dont get new filters.

You should be adding in a water conditioner. You mention Prime, that is a good water conditioner.

I would also recommend adding some bottled bacteria. API Quickstart is one of these, but not one I have experience with.

All the other additives you mention are not essential. The clarifier will clear particles from the water, and the biological cleaner will help remove organic waste. These are mostly cosmetic, and if you look after your fish and do regular maintenance arent needed.

You can move some of the gravel from the 32 gallon to the 65 gallon if you like. But dont put it in the filter.

Back
Top Bottom