Dead fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
Don't it this is the right place but I'm trying to find a reason that 2 of my 3 fish have died (well I suspect my Betta ate the small Oto)

I awoke this mornin and checked my tank to find my Betta lying on the gravel of my tank.

Assuming the lazy bugger was sleeping I left him to wake up and switched the tank light on. Bout 20 mins later I checked and he was still there.

Using the net I lifted him out the water and he didn't thrash or move at all, in the water I looked and his gills weren't moving either.

I immediately checked the water and the results are:

•Ammonia = 0 ppm
•NitrIte = >0.5 ppm
•NitrAte = 10-15 ppm

This tank is planted heavily and was going through a silent cycle.

Is it possible that there was a spike during the night and this was the cause?

He was lively and happy yesterday afternoon.

:(

How long has this tank been set up?

What size is it?

What's in it (or what was your complete stock?)

What is a "silent cycle"?

What test kit are you using?

LyndaB said:
How long has this tank been set up?

What size is it?

What's in it (or what was your complete stock?)

What is a "silent cycle"?

What test kit are you using?

Tank has been set up for a month before adding fish.

It's a 63l tank.

I was told "silent cycling" is having fish in a planted tank??

I was using a King British test strip kit, gonna get an API master kit soon tho.

_______

Well I got a friend to test my water (cos my test strips were reading as posted above) and with his API he found NO2 and NO3 spikes to toxic levels.

Now if I had known about the build up I would've immediately acted but my test strips (known for slight inaccuracy but not this bad!!!) didn't register anything!!

I've emailed the company but have yet to hear back.

I have rehomed the one surviving Oto and I will run the tank with ammonia till I'm sure this won't happen again.

Poor fish suffered and I couldn't do anything :(

Fish-in cycling is really hard on the fish. As you discovered. :( You start off with no bacteria to eat the waste buildup, right? So your fish basically have to wait it out in increasingly high levels of poison while the bacteria slowly colonizes the filter media. Eventually there will be enough bacteria to eat whatever ammonia your fishes are putting out- but not right away.

Ideally you get your cycle going and stable first and THEN add fish.

This sticky has a bunch of info about cycling, and dealing with a tank that isn't cycled but already has fish in it:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...started-check-out-these-resources-154837.html

Ottos are super sensitive, so Im surprised you lost the betta first. Hopefully the last one makes it though. :(

This is a perfect example for everybody y the masterkit is #1 on the list of things to buy

Mrc8858 said:
This is a perfect example for everybody y the masterkit is #1 on the list of things to buy

I didn't know about the test till after this happened.

My friend didn't tell me the details about water testing, I assumed my strips would suffice.

Now I know but I still lost 2 pets :(

Scouser said:

My friend didn't tell me the details about water testing, I assumed my strips would suffice.

Sorry wasn't tryin to bash u just would like everyone starting out to kno they NEED to get a masterkit just as much as the tank itself

Mrc8858 said:
Sorry wasn't tryin to bash u just would like everyone starting out to kno they NEED to get a masterkit just as much as the tank itself

I know, no worries.

And I'd have to say get the test kit before the tank in future!

I'm very sorry for your loss.

We all started out in this hobby with little to no knowledge. As you go along, but especially right at the beginning, you really have to hunker down and do a lot of research. It's well worth it, though, when you end up with a beautiful healthy tank. (y)

Back
Top Bottom