Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2021, 08:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Dead Platys with a white bump

Hi everyone,

Nice to meet you all! Can someone help me figure out what is wrong with my platys? Hereís some info:

- 20g (Iím upgrading to a 55g soon)
- 15 Platys (started with 4 adult platys)
- Been raising them for over a year in the same tank
- Water changes at 40-50% every 2 weeks (Iíve done water tests here and there and water quality is always great)
- Planted tank with Anubias/Amazon Sword/Java Fern/Wisteria, etc

I tested the tank yesterday and..

- Ammonia: 0 ppm
- Nitrite: 0 ppm
- Nitrate: 5 ppm
- pH: 8.0
- GH: 100-200 ppm

My platys have been (and still are) really active, eager to eat, having babies, etc. I havenít had any death for a year until recently I donít see any unusual behavior such as flashing, rubbing against glass, isolation, floating to the top or staying on the bottom either. Thereís no fin rot, spots, etc on them either.

I found the first one dead, floating, approx 30 min-1 hr after I put in the fish heater (which Iíve used before with no problems). I donít use the cover because I read online the small ones may end up getting stuck between the heater and the cover. The tank was always at a 75F/23C, so I kept the heater at that same level. When I found him, I assumed he was young and grazed/burned himself by accident.

Then everything was fine for awhile. A month later (aka yesterday) I found two more dead.

The dead ones are always the juveniles. The adults seem really happy and unaffected still. Iím not sure how long the dead ones have been there since theyíre so small and easy to miss, but since I check my tank everyday, it seems like they died recently. One of them floated to the top, the other one was stuck between the plant roots in the back.

All of them have this one white, pimple-like bump to their head. Itís not fuzzy or wooly either. Itís smooth like a pimple. The ones alive do not have anything on them. Since theyíre naturally red, itís hard for me to tell if thereís unusual redness anywhere.

Can someone please share their experiences and let me know what I should do.. so the rest of my Platys donít end up the same way?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DFC11CFB-49A4-4C8D-871E-6F06BE873452.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	322289   Click image for larger version

Name:	D6824E99-AEF1-4DA9-83CA-A8CEDDCF1F86.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	322290  

Click image for larger version

Name:	77CB0D21-103D-46AE-9870-2C8C28B10B10.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	322291  

Tags
dead, white, platy, platys, bump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com