Aggressive red wag tail platy fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

af2018

Aquarium Advice Regular

I posted this to YouTube. I had to take this one out several days ago because I watched him going after another one of my platies. Prior to that I had removed a platy that was in fear and I couldn’t figure out why. Now the fearful one is back in the community tank doing great. But I’ve got this red platy whose aggressive. I wanted to test out my theory so I’ve been putting in a floating mirror and he attacks it. I don’t think he’s just doing this out of sexual dominance or frustration I think he’s just an aggressive fish. But I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts and opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my goodness sorry lol it’s public now haha

The video really does no justice it seems like every time I go to record it it either stops or gets a little less aggressive so I was able to capture a little bit of it in the video but it’s definitely more than what you see here.

Somewhere in my archives I have a video of a male Koi Swordtail beating the snot out of the other males in the tank. I took notice of this when I delivered 3 trios of them to a store and 2 of the males were DOA. The survivor must have been #2 in the hierarchy. Platies and swordtails are closely related ( all red swordtails have platy genetics in them) so it's not that unusual that your male was being an A**hole. ;)

Back
Top Bottom