Denison Barb Headstand. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganv11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently added 2 Denison Barbs to a 55g tank (0 ppm Ammonia, 0 ppm Nitrites, ~5 ppm Nitrates). After about 4 days it has started to sit in the corner nose down and I can't seem to figure out the problem. The other barb is a bit bigger (2.5 inches) whereas the affected one is around 2 inches.

He/she still eats fine (pellets, flakes, bloodworms).
Also as you may notice the fin is a bit frayed. My LFS only had 2 Denison’s in stock and I plan to add more very soon. (I am also aware they will need a bigger tank in the future)

Thank you!!

Attachments

• Denison.jpg
    Denison.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 41
Beautiful fish

Correctnme if I'm wrong. the other fish maybe bullying but barbs are schoolers so they need friends it might be a defensive/ stressed pose.

That makes sense. maybe its just a stressed since he's not in a real school. thank you! I have been in contact with my LFS about getting more soon.

Maybe

It's possible but that issue can resolve itself usually so the more important thinnisnto get him
Friends
To relieve stress and give the barb strength to live like a 'normal' barb although nothing is normal in life except dying so yeah.

That took a dark turn lol. Thanks again for your help. Do you think it'll be alright for the next few days?

The longer the more dangerous it ‘should be ok’ although it is highly unlikely that it will be ok for longer than that.

What are your water parameters?

The tank, what is the maintenance routine?

How long set up?

Are you familiar with the nitrification cycle? Is the cycled with a developed beneficial bacteria /BB colony, able to process ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Any time there is a fish issue check the water. Parameters, temp filtering going as it should.

So if you haven't done a water change in the past few days, do a 25%. If it has been more than a week do a second 25% pwc right after. Then check the water again for all safe water parameters.

If you do not have a test kit. Do the same thing the next day. This will gently provide the fish with cleaner water and see if it begins to act more normal.

If so... the next day do another pwc, but appx 30%. Having a test kit, liquid master kit is ideal, helps you to know when there is a dangerous condition for the fish.

Test strips are not to be relied on when the life of a fish is at stake.

Also the tattered fish tail /fins could be bullying or degrading due to poor water, and sick fish can often be bullied. Vicious cycle.

Back
Top Bottom