Do fins grow back?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
After 18 days I decided that it was the end of the QT time for my new tiger and aurulious barbs and that it was time to move them to the 20 g with the green tigers ant the ol' lone aurulious.

When I got there with my net I noticed that one of the tigers had half of the tail and almost no "tummy" fins left. 8O

I moved the 2 small aurulious and the aggressive tiger to the 30 g and left the handicapped barb with a small tiger as a companion in the QT to give it some time to recover and get stronger again. They seem to be well there, they eat and swim around.

The aggressor had a humbling lesson from the green tigers and now it is in its best behavior, but for a day or so I though it wasn't going to work.

I wonder if the poor thing will ever recover and grow the fins back so I can move it to the 30 g with the others. :?

Depending on how far down they're torn, yes, they will heal...as long as the 'rays' aren't damaged.

Try dosing the injured tiger with Melafix. It won't jack with your bio-filter and it won't be harmful to the other barb. This will soothe the injury and speed the healing, it will also cut the risk of infection.

HTH

I had a platy with a fin that was about 1/2 the normal length. Check it out in my gallery, there is a before and after picture so you can see how much it grew back. If I understand correctly, fins can grow back if the damage is not too extensive and has not reached the basal area of the fin. I would imagine they are also more likey to grow back if secondary infection is reduced.

when i started my african cichlid tank there was a huge aggression problem because of territories... so the fins to my fish would always be nipped away. but sure as hell they alwasy grew back... so try melafix and give it time... maybe even stress coat the tank... that never hurts

Back
Top Bottom