Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Dropsy

I've had an Oranda Goldfish that's been sick for about a month, if not more. He's got dropsy, and he's had a number of other ailments from ick to finrot to week-long constipation. This poor guy has held on for so long now, but he's not really seeming to get any better. I've managed to clear up everything except the dropsy, and all I really wanna know is this: Is this little guy suffering? I mean, it's obvious he's not too happy, but as far as physical pain and stress and fatigue go. Is it even worth it to keep trying, because honestly it looks at this point as if he's just going to die slowly on his own, despite everything I do. I'm just really lost and confused =/ I don't want to make him suffer any more if it's unbearable, but I don't want undue euthanasia. This is a serious deal, and I want to be sure there really is no alternative.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have had to put 2 fish down for dropsy, because they got to where they couldn't swim and sunk straight to the bottom.
Have you tried salt in the tank?

Old 02-05-2011, 01:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've been giving him daily salt baths for as long as he's been bloated, which is about three weeks or so. I didn't salt the whole tank because I have frogs and baby guppies and such.

He's been at the bottom forever, and now he's just resting on his crown, completely upside down. His fins are still floating, which is pretty much the only way I can tell he isn't dead yet, but he spends most of the day upside down and on his head, which is why I think he's just suffering. I really just want to make him comfortable, and I just don't know whether to make him keep fighting or to just let him rest =/
Old 02-05-2011, 02:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's what my gourami was doing, and why I decided to use the clove oil to put him down. It wasn't fun and I hated it, but he was not doing good.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I understand.

I'm sorry for you and your gourami. I looked closer and I noticed that cysts are starting to protrude from his belly, so i can only imagine whats going on. Some sort of kidney disease, maybe?

At any rate, thank you so much for helping us throughout this ordeal. Such a sad situation.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is very sad. I have lost alot of fish, but it's always harder with the ones you have become close to. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Tags
dropsy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com