Dwarf Gourami with popeye?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barrettd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started my tank on Saturday with Biospira. In my 29 gallon tank, I've got 10 neon tetras, 2 gold gouramis, 1 blue dwarf gourami and 1 red dwarf. My nitrite and ammonia levels have been 0 today and yesterday, pH is 8, and the water is quite hard.

The fish have seemed to be doing fine, but this afternoon when I got home from work, my blue and red guys were hanging out around the top. As I approached the tank, they swam around, to the bottom and around, and I noticed a cloudy, bulging eye on the red. As a brand spanking new enthusiast, I searched these forums in an effort to confirm my suspicions that this was in fact popeye.

My big problem is that I do not have a QT, and the only water treatment products I have right now are StressCoat, AquariSol, NovAqua, and AmQuel.

Should I euthanize the little guy? I hate to jump to that end, but I don't want to jeopardize the rest of the crew. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BD

I would treat him. The medicine isn't very expensive and my little gourami had it for like three weeks before i was able to get to the store... it never spread. But then agian I am not a expert. But good luck

fish are wonderful to have as pets, but horrible to eat

Also it could be damage from another fish..nothing can tear up your colisa like their fellow colisa!
Dwarf gourami are much more territorial and "pissy" than their larger counterparts.
And it is more number related than sex. A make and female will end up with a dead female 7 out of 10 times. With dwarfs you need at least 3 and always have your male female ratio 1/2;2/4, 3/5. And be ready to doctor the omega fish in larger groups. Male dwarfs are NOT good compnay for each other unless you have a pretty good sized tank like a well planteed adn decorateed 40 or more.
it is only a natter of luck or the fish's age if they are not causeng hassles for someone's community tank. Just class them a semi-social betta splendens.
Gourami are pretty respondant to most treatments out there.

Back
Top Bottom