Eel help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dannie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
while cleanin' the tank the other day I noticed my peacock eels eyes seemed glazed if viewed from a funny angle. I didn't think anything of it at first, thinkin maybe it was just the dim light in the room. Watching it today it swims around the top of the tank or just floats slightly vertically. The ph levels and everythin' seem fine in my tank accordin' to my kit, but I am goin' to go get it double checked by the local pet store tomorrow. The other fish in the tank seem fine, I even have another eel in the tank who's eyes are crystal clear and he seems fine an active. What does my sick one have?And how can I remedy it?

How hard is the water. That's the first thing I would check for cloudy eyes.

High hardness, cloudy eyes.

Ph:
gH:
KH:
If you would please.

The kit i have only tells me the phs level which is about 6.6. I believe that's in the acceptable range for them.

It was just a ph strip test. I just got back from the petstore and they said my levels were way off, I think I took too much water out while I was doin' a water change. She gave me some stress zyme and she's orderin' me one of the kits they use to test waters for their aquarium, because all they had at the moment was just ph strips

Just go to walmart and get the API master freshwater kit, also a GH/KH test as well. You can never change too much water. That probably wasn't the problem. How long has the tank been up.

Two months. The other feesh seem fine. I have a Fire mouth cichlid a small baby fire eel, a raphael catfish and a common pleco who are actin' perfectly fine. I added the stress zyme, for now the peacock eel seems ok, breathin' a bit hard. He's restin' in some plants.

API liquid test kit will be your best friend. i don't think they carry it in the store, but if you go to walmart.com it's only $18 plus 97 cents shipping and handling (or free site to store) i've always gotten my shipments from walmart rather quickly.

what are the other specs of your tank? size? filtration? maintenance schedule? give as many details as you can. the more info we have about the tank, the better we can help :)

I'll have to go pick on up then, Anything that'll help the little guy. The tank is a 10G aquarium about 20 inches long not sure about the height. For a filter I used a tetra whisper power filter, and there's also a bubble wand that runs the length of the tank. I spot clean daily for extra food left over. They are fed bloodworms, mysis shrimp and live earthworms. As for waterchanges once every week and a half. Is that too frequent?

I realize that is a small tank at the moment for eels, but I am gettin' a 55 gallon tank set up in a month or so and i'm setting that up for the eels specifically

update: the eel is now restin' regularly in his tank, the heavy breathy has stopped and is more normal, his eyes still seem a bit glazed, but his colour is comin' back so i hope that is a good sign! I did however notice a slightly reddish mark on his cheek, near the gill openin and under the skin, but that could be my eyes playin' tricks on me or his gills we do have some bright lights in the tank he was sittin next too.. The other fish are still fine as well. I've been watchin' them like a hawk. i'll try to take some photos if i can keep them from bein' super blurry.

red gills is an indication of ammonia poisoning. if i were you i would start doing DAILY PWC's until you can get your hands on a liquid test kit. your tank is SUPER overstocked!! all of those fish get WAY too big for a 10g tank, get that 55g set up ASAP!!! that common pleco can get up to 24 inches!!! the raphael catfish can get up to 10 inches!!! you need to rehome these guys as soon as you can.

but for now, do daily PWC's to ensure none of your fish get ammonia or nitrite poisoning, as it can lead to severe injury, lifelong weakness, and death. on a 10g tank a PWC takes no time, so it shouldn't be too overwhelming. good luck, i hope your eel gets better!

red gills is an indication of ammonia poisoning. if i were you i would start doing DAILY PWC's until you can get your hands on a liquid test kit. your tank is SUPER overstocked!! all of those fish get WAY too big for a 10g tank, get that 55g set up ASAP!!! that common pleco can get up to 24 inches!!! the raphael catfish can get up to 10 inches!!! you need to rehome these guys as soon as you can.

but for now, do daily PWC's to ensure none of your fish get ammonia or nitrite poisoning, as it can lead to severe injury, lifelong weakness, and death. on a 10g tank a PWC takes no time, so it shouldn't be too overwhelming. good luck, i hope your eel gets better!

+1, although a 55g probably wouldn't even cut it imo with all those fish. Then once you get everything straightened out, you should probably do 50% pwcs weekly, or at least 25%.

I would return as many fish as you can. Your 55 could hold the firemouth when you get it, and probably the raphael. The others should go IMO, or you will have a tank with too many fish, and too big of fish. This will cause fighting with injury (and most likely disease), or outright death from aggression, before long.

Back
Top Bottom