Fancy Guppy fin rot Treatment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oto

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everybody,

I have recently purchased a male fancy guppy about a week ago. He is in a dirted and heavily planted 10 gallon tank. The temperature is kept at about 78 degrees, and there are no other fish in the tank except for a young female guppy. There are a ton of snails.

I don't know all the water conditions right now because I only have an ammonia test kit, but there is no detectable ammonia. pH is 7.8.

The fin rot is on the dorsal fin, and seems to be pretty advanced. The tips of the rays are visible, and 70% of the fin is a grey color. The base of the fin is starting to turn white, but not fuzzy - is this an infection? There also appears to be a nip on his tail, probably from the female, but I have not noticed any chasing or aggression.

Behaviour has been normal, eating, swimming actively, and begging me for food with his little fishy eyes everytime I go within a 10 feet radius of the tank. :brows:

I have heard that using hydrogen peroxide to treat the fin rot will help, but I'm not sure how to do this without hurting the fish.

Does anyone have any advice for how to treat the fin rot and possible reasons for it? Sorry for the long post, and thank you in advance!

I'm not sure how to treat the fin rot but I believe it is very contagious among guppies. Is there any way you can separate your fish?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Fin rot really only happens from poor water parameters. We really need to know what your nitrates are at to be able to give good advice.

9 times out of 10 it can be treated with good water. For advanced cases where the tailbis almost completely gone I would suggest antibiotics.

Ok, i did a 30 percent water change today, and will.do another in two days.

Im really sorry, but i just can't get a test kit or get water tested at this time. I also have some antibiotics, but im going to wait until using those.

Back
Top Bottom