Fin rot.. What do I do?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YoungGuppy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay so, I had 9 Guppies in my tank, bought a few more from Petsmart and apparently they had a horrible case of fin rot. Within 24 hours all of my Guppies were dead despite trying to save the last few with Tetra Fungus Guard.

I cleaned out the tank, washed the gravel, but forgot to rinse off the plants. So when I put new fish in, one immediately died, now another (pregnant female) is showing early signs (yellowish and white on the tail).

So I just went and got aquarium salt, followed the directions and added it.

Is there anything else I should do? How often should I do water changes and what percentage? The water quality is good, 0 ammonia.

Are my plants going to be okay from the salt? I have a Narrow leaf Java Fern and Needle Leaf Rotalas.

Thanks in advance.

Here are some pictures. It isn't bad.
She's a Guppy/Endler cross so her tail shape is suppose to be like that. But the fraying/white spots weren't there before.
82521-albums12952-picture60013.jpg
82521-albums12952-picture60014.jpg

Daily pwc and add salt for what you replaced. If you think think it's taking a turn for the worse, look into a medicine like maracyn 2. good luck

yes, I believe the correct dosage aquarium salt is 1 Tbs per 5 g. Also, I've yet to cure fin rot with my cichlids, but they were exposed to fish in cycle, although I was doing large daily wc. Anyway, This is why I have maracyn 2 on hand and ready. I've tried many other meds that didn't work. Many more experienced folks than me say pristine water will cure all that ails them, again good luck

Are there any black edges on the tattered fins? If there are no black edges, it is not fin rot. It may possibly be damage from being bullied.

Could't it still be bacterial infection without black tips? I could be wrong, but from what I've seen it doesn't always start with black tips... I can't see the pics anymore from this app, but if I recall it seemed to be evenly frayed mid tail

Could't it still be bacterial infection without black tips? I could be wrong, but from what I've seen it doesn't always start with black tips... I can't see the pics anymore from this app, but if I recall it seemed to be evenly frayed mid tail

Usually with fin rot the black edges indicate the fins still rotting, and the white edges indicate the fins growing back. However, it can look tattered and sort of white if it has been damaged by the nipping of other fish.

Back
Top Bottom