[First Post] Ranchu missing eye??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ranchew

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, as you can see from the title this is my first post on the forum. I have spent a lot of time over about the past year and a half looking through here and found many helpful posts. Unfortunately I have hit a roadblock in my research and decided it was time I went straight to the source to get some much needed feedback.

So here is my current situation: After finishing off a 70% WC(large changes have never been a problem as my fish are healthy and adjust well) I came to find my ranchu missing an eye and with part of his wen hanging off near the gill. I know this could not have happened from the siphon as I was present the whole time and never saw him get near it. Regardless, he survived the night and through today, he is having a hard time figuring out where he is going but has had a normal appetite for him and is showing no signs of stress (ie clamping, flashing, not eating, floating). My question is what do I do now? I would really like him to live through this if there is any way possible.

Just some facts about my tank:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
Temperature: 73.1°
pH:7.4
Last and only disease in there was an ich outbreak when I brought him home almost a year ago.
Only one other fish in there ~5 inch fantail but no aggression issues, they usually swim together and take turns eating.

Thanks in advance!!

Sad to hear. Very odd thing to happen.
I've had a tetra that developed an eye infection and loss use of it. In time I navigated and fed normally. It just could not see on that side. I could approach the tank if it was blind side to the glass (these fish were normally skittish).
Hopefully no further complications (e.g. - infection) occur.

Are there any fake plants or decorations in your tank? Or do you have a hang-on-back-filter with a hard plastic in-take tube that looks "stabby"?

This had to happen somehow...I would take anything fake out of your tank. I would also rubber band some filter floss around your intake tube (a meshed but soft kind). We don't want anything crazy like this happening again!

The only decorations in the tank are a couple smooth river rocks. My suspicion is he got surprised by the filter intake when I turned it back on and I just didn't see it happen. I have since put a sponge filter on the canister intake and am not too worried about this happening again. He seems to be doing well these past few days and has had a voracious appetite. Is there anything I can do to help prevent infection while he heals or just monitor him and then take action should a problem arise?

Do large water changes for the next few days (80% - 100%). Clean water is key to an infection free future.

Adding one tablespoon of aquarium salt per gallon will raise the salinity level in the tank to approximately 0.3%. This will help his normal bodily functions and thus allow his immune system to focus on the healing.

I would do this until you start to see the skin heal over.

Perhaps in a week or so drop the salinity level down to approximately 0.1% at one teaspoon per gallon (or half the tablespoons used previously).

Back
Top Bottom