Fish Are Dying Off -- Need Help IDing Disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I Should Go

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

I',m new to the forums but I've had an aquarium for about 3 years. Everything has been going really well since now and I've learned a lot since I started.

However, for the past 10 days, things have really gotten worse and worse. I've now lost about 10 fish and several others are showing symptoms. This all started after I added a few new rummy nose tetras to my tank. I was lazy and I didn't quarantine them, so I think they spread a disease into my tank. :(

I've pretty much ruled out water issues since my GH, KH, PH, Nitrate, Phosphate, and Ammonia are all fine.

Now as far as symptoms in fish go, I haven't really been able to see anything. I've lost over 10 fish now without them showing any signs (about 1 a day). I've lost one Angel and several tetras.

The exception came yesterday, when I noticed one of my other angels stopped eating, and started breathing heavily and hiding in the corner. It also has something protruding from it's anus (not very visible).
I also noticed (what I think is) a gold dust like covering on the skin on two of my remaining tetras.

Now this immediately got me thinking that this is Velvet. :confused: However, I've never had this in my tank before, so if someone could just help me make sure this is the right diagnosis, and it isn't some other disease, that would be really great.

Please see the pictures I've attached. Hopefully they help. Do you guys agree that Velvet is the cause if you combine the heavy/ rapid breathing, lethargy and hiding, loss of appetite, protrusion from anus and (possibly) the skin appearance in the pics?

Attachments

• 20151129_155413.jpg
    20151129_155413.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 20151129_162549.jpg
    20151129_162549.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20151129_162742.jpg
    20151129_162742.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 20151129_162615.jpg
    20151129_162615.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 46
It looks and sounds like velvet to me except I've never heard of anal protrusions from that. That sounds like some kind of parasitic worm. It could be both simultaneously.

It looks and sounds like velvet to me except I've never heard of anal protrusions from that. That sounds like some kind of parasitic worm. It could be both simultaneously.

Yeah I've thought about maybe simultaneous infections.

Just an update. I just noticed the sick angel has enflamed gills as well, besides the fast, labored breathing.

Back
Top Bottom