Fish Dying in 29 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caudelfin

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,
I have a zebra that became hump backed but he stayed with the others and eat well. Then one day he went to mid tank and stayed there and swim slowly mostly to maintain position. He did not seem to be eating at all. Then one day he was not there, no body laying or floating, just gone. I assume that he died and was eaten before I noticed he was dead. Just now I found one of my Chinese algae eaters, (which by the way only eat algae when juvenal and then become very aggressive) dead at the bottom of the tank. One is left. Yesterday both were eating algae from the side of the glass. The dead one was bloody around the anus area.

Anyone have any ideas what might cause this? Now I have a fish that (I am not sure just what it is, it was with the zebra danios at the fish store and has a long flowing tail like a comet goldfish but is smaller than a zebra - gray in color and looks similar to a zebra danio) is now at the middle of the tank not eating but swims around a little but sometimes sinks to the bottom but shoots up to the middle of the tank again.I must have something wrong with this tank, a 29 gal with 6 Platys and now 1 chinese algae eater and 5 danios and the one small fish with the large flowing tail fin.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? So far only danios and Chinese Algae Eaters. The algae eater was eating algae one night and I found him on the bottom of the tank dead in the AM. Of the platys one of them is humpback but is eating well and swimming with the other fish and one developed a growth on the side of the body. He was caught and placed in the freezer.

2What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
Temp 78
pH 7.5
KH 2.5
PO4 6.0 (Better was off the chart)

tap KH 2.5
tap pH 7.9 Over 7.8 but not 8.0 color is a mix of the two test colors
tap PO4 0.5

3~ How large is the tank? 29 gal How long has the tank been set up? 10yrs

4~What type of filtration are you using? Emperor 400
amount of gph if known. 400 but I suspect closer to 350 gph It is cleaned monthly, the mechanical filters which in my case have proven to be biological also cleaned in tank water weekly when I do a 5 gal water change and vacuum the gravel. The mechanical/bio filters changed every 3 months. The carbon is removed from them before replacing as I do not think running carbon all the time is good for the tank. Besides that there is not enough in the blue mech filter to do any good. It depletes itself quickly and starts adding what it removed back to the tank.

5~How many fish are in the tank? 12

What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
5 danios 1 inch or less
6 red Platys
1 Chinese Algae Eater

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel?
Tues and this is Thursday so that would no more than 3 days ago.

How often do you do this? Weekly
How much water do you remove at a time? 5 - 7 gal
7~How long have you had the fish? Danios and Platys about 6 months
the Chinese Algae Eaters 10 days

If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
The normal way. Floating the bag until temps are the same. Then add 1/4 cup of tank water to the bag every 20 minutes until one cup has been added and pH is the same. Then pour the bag water thru a net into a bucket, the fish are caught in the net and let go into the tank. The tank has no lights and the room light is off. The fish are feed the next Morning.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No

9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? I feed them OSI FreshWater Aquarium Flakes, twice daily what they will eat in about 10 seconds. (Phosphate Problem) Twice weekly they get Nutrafin max Liverbearer Food which contains some Tubifex Worms (dried) and they all go crazy of this food. And once each week they get one disc of Hikora Algae Wafer broken up into pieces and if it has not disappeared in 2 hours I siphon the reminder out. I seldom have to siphon any. It goes in one hour and often less. Soon as it softens it is gone

Caudelfin

You said your fish was 'hump backed'. Sounds like the classic signs of Tuberculosis to me. Lethargy, loss of appetite, spinal deformity, etc. TB can also cause bacterial infections on the skin, and could be the reason for your CAE's sore anal area.

TB is an uncommon illness, but with all the symptoms you described, it sounds like that is what it might be. You may want to wait for a confirmation from someone else. To treat (which is difficult, becauce the disease is one at the cellular level) you should use a strong antibiotic such as Kanamycin and begin asap.

HTH

Could be a lack of vitamin C too. How old is your flake food? If it's more then 6 months old, trash it and get some new stuff. You may want to look for a supplement to add in your tank ASAP too.

DevilishTurtles and Andos99
Thanks for your input. I am grateful for any help. However, My food is fresh, just opened a new can of OSI, the Algae Wafers and the Nutrafin is no more than 3 weeks old. I don't much believe it is TB, for they do not lose any weight seemingly. Many of the fish that I have had get humpbacked when they get older and these are aged, they came a few months ago from a tank that had over 100 ppm of nitrate in it. Off the scale in fact. For about two months now they have lived in good water conditions with water changes weekly. It may be that this problem is the result of them living in such high nitrates for nearly a year.

OSI has a good dose of Vitamin C in it. However, I do have a supplement Tetra Aqua's Easy Balance which adds vitamins, trace elements and minerals and it is supposed to remove some nitrates also. But I am not going to use it until I find out if it has any Phosphates in it. OSI has plenty of vitamins, minerals and good food in it. I have never had any problems with it and have used it for a number of years now. I usually trash any food that is over 3 months old. IF the 90 gal finishes cycling the is week, I will soon have enough fish to consume the flakes in 90 days or less.

My Z-moto (short for quasimoto) lived for a long time with a humped back. Danios are more prone to it because they live long enough to get a humped back.

Thanks to all of you who replied. I tried the medications because one of the Platys has a swollen abdomen which it could indicate an internal infection, parasites or constipation. And several have long stringy white poop. The humpbacks (1 danio and 1 platy) are older and have lived through some severe conditions including a year in an aquarium with nitrates that read off the scale. They all show lots of wear and tear but the survivors all seem happy, swimming around chasing each other and eating well. They get one more treatment of fungus and antibiotic meds and then they will be left to live out their days in their 29 gal tank. I would like to sterilize that tank, its ornaments, gravel and filters. When their numbers become fewer I will transfer the remaining members to the 10 gal so I can sterilize and put new fish in the 29 gal. Thanks again for your help and suggestions. I find this forum to be the most helpful that I have used.
caudelfin

Back
Top Bottom