Fish have labored breathing after water change- need advice!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7fishers

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I did a 30% water change yesterday morning. Added everything I usually do. I even, just to be safe, had my water tested at a fish store. This morning about 75% of my fish are breathing fast and labored. I added an aerator and took out about 1/8 of the water so there would be a lot of movement of the water to provide oxygen. I waited about an hour and then added water back, with Prime, but kept the water right at the bottom of the filter to continue movement. My gouramis are still breathing hard as is my shark. My small schooling fish look much better. My tank is 55 gallons. I'm worried I'm losing my gourami. Any advice????

Sometime the city adds more chlorine to your water. If you go to a pool store, they have chlorine test kits to test how much chlorine is in your water. I think Inmkr also sells the chlorine test kit. For now, age your new water in a large bucket overnight with dechlor. This should gas off all the chlorine.

It's a 55 gallon tank that's been up and running fine for two years. When I do a water change I always use some sort of a conditioner hat decholinates and also helps get nitrates and nitrates in order plus additional magic to help with the stress of a water change. I use a ph balancer and add a bit of salt. Nothing was done differently except it was a little more than 25%. I tested the water myself and it was right on spot but still had the local aquarium store check it. When I got back one barb was dead and my 4 gouramis were gulping and breathing so hard. I brought the water level down 3" from the filter and added additional aeration. The following morning my beautiful orange draft was dead. So far my three blue dwarfs are ok but not as active as they used to be. My South American Chilids and my little schooling fish are fish. Go figure. It's a mystery?!

If it was after a water change, it could be the water itself. Sometime the city does a clean and adds a massive dose of chlorine that overwhelms your dechlorinator. Pool stores (or even sears) will have a chlorine test kit that will give you an indiction of how much chlorine is in the water. So sorry for your loss.

I don't think it's weird to love fish y else would u have them I'm a new be and I was sad I lost fish already good luck w your fishys I have to treat mine w garlic guard for intestinal parasites I think they have I pray it works don't want to lose anymore

Berylla thanks for the tip I'm gonna try to do the bucket overnight thing treated what about bottling water could it stay fresh that way then use just enough tap water to warm it?

Back
Top Bottom