fish health references?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gheitman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm just curious to know what references people use to prevent, diagnose and treat fish diseases. I have purchased several books through the years including "Handbook of Fish Diseases" by Untergasser and "The Manual of Fish Health" by Andrews, Exell and Carrington.

You can first look at the health boards here and check out the stickies for more information....

update...ooops...just notice you probably already know that...lol...sorry...

One of the better books I've found on managing the health of fish aquariums is ...Aquariology: The Sciences of Fish Health Management: Master Volume by Dr. John B. Gratzek.

TCTFish said:
You can first look at the health boards here and check out the stickies for more information....

update...ooops...just notice you probably already know that...lol...sorry...

One of the better books I've found on managing the health of fish aquariums is ...Aquariology: The Sciences of Fish Health Management: Master Volume by Dr. John B. Gratzek.

I wasn't aware of that book by Dr. Gratzek. I may have to check that out. I've noticed that there are two other books listed on Amazon by him in the same series on fish anatomy/physiology/nutrition and fish breeding/genetics.

The Untergasser book is very good, but some of the treatments are unavailable. Still, it is very thorough. The manual of Fish Health, is a little simpler, but has treatments that are more readily available. More importantly, it has correct dosages, which are far from what is considered a dose, on the packages of the over counter medications.

The Untergasser book is an excellent book for diagnosis of problems. The charts on pages 8 to 55 are the main reason I bought it. I forgot to mention I also have 'Tropical Fishlopaedia' by Bailey and Burgess and 'A Commonsense Guide to Fish Health' by Fairfield. I'm really just getting into the first book but find it very informative. It has eleven chapters on fish health including prevention of disease, diagnosis and treatment. The book has one serious flaw in that there is no index. The second book is aimed more at the beginning aquarist but does cover such things as nutrition, disease, parasites and viruses.

I wasn't aware of that book by Dr. Gratzek. I may have to check that out. I've noticed that there are two other books listed on Amazon by him in the same series on fish anatomy/physiology/nutrition and fish breeding/genetics.

Great book and I had initially bought it as a guide book for employees. I do believe the Master Volume also gets into physiology and breeding as well, but yes, the guy has a series of books. All worth checking out.

Back
Top Bottom