fish loosing their eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zshainya

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I started a 45 gallon freshwater tank about 2 months ago and I now have the following fish:

1 black ghost knife
1 Yoyo Loach
2 Mollies
2 Cory cats
1 Opaline Gourami
1 Australian Rainbow
1 Giant Danio
3 Gold Barbs
1 platy
2 small suckerfish, not chinese algae eaters, but look like them...
1 fish that is about 3 inches long and looks like a kissing Gourami but is silvery brownish, not sure what it is

I noticed that my Platy was missing an eye about 2 weeks ago but didn't think much of it, as it was a new fish and I belived it may have from the store like that. I didn't recall noticing it at the time though in the store or when it was brought home. Now I notice that one of the suckerfish is missing an eye. Is it possible one of the other fish is causing this? If so, which would be the most likely suspect. Also, I had an australian rainbow who's eyes acutely began protruding from its head and it died soon after. I mention because the only info I have found online regarding fish missing eyes suggested pop eye disease or something like that as a possible cause.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I apologize in advance if this issue has been addressed already in this forum, I did not see a reference though.

Welcome to AA.com, Zshainya. You will find this is a great community of fish lovers.

Since no one has said anything yet, I may as well do it: What are your water parameters? Always the first task when trying to figure out if anything is up with the fish. Also, are the other fish acting healthy, eating well, etc.?

Hello,

All my water levels appear to be normal:

-no ammonia
-nitrate at safe level
-no nitrites
**Alkalinity is low
-pH neutral
-between hard and soft water on test strip

I perform 50% water change once a week.

All other fish appear healthy and I have noticed no aggression.

Well it sounds like you are on top of everything, so I haven't a clue at this point, sorry!

Hopefully one of the fish disease experts will pop in...Allivymar, is your "Aquarium Advice Sense" tingling?

Thank you very much Myriam. I really appreciate your response at this point. I've been innundated with contradictory info in books, websites, magazines etc. regarding all questions I have had with my new hobby, and it is nice to have some real feedback with my issues. Thanks again!

Could it be the gourami? Apparently they get aggressive/territorial. I'd definitely find out what your fish that looks like a kissing gourami is. That could be it too.

Also, isn't 50% water changes for a 45 gallon tank a little much? Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a lot.

Having kept plenty of gouramis over the years, I can say that I've never had one that was an 'eye-plucker'. The 'opaline gourami' is just a color variation of the 'blue gourami', Trichogaster trichopterus, and they can get aggressive but don't generally remove eyes.

Since your water parameters are good it sounds a LOT like you've got some type of infectious agent in the tank that affects the eyes of your fish. Exophthalmus or 'pop eyes' is often caused by a bacterial infection that produces gas in the capillaries in the eye socket. Some people have had success with salt treatment for fish with this problem. There are also commercial remedies out there that might help.

Oh...if I had to name a likely suspect from your list of fish...I'd look MUCH closer at the Black Ghost Knife, Apteronotus albifrons. I've never heard of them plucking the eyes out of fish but with those guys...anything is possible. One important CAUTION...whatever you choose to do....your Black Ghost is very susceptible to most aquarium remedies so you might want to make arrangements to remove him from the tank before you start any treatment.

The larger "kissing Gourami look alike" is on my list of suspects. I have been unable to find a picture anywhere to verify what type of fish it actually is. The other Gourami came into the tank after the first eyeball attack, so I don't think it is that one.

I've been changing the water at 50% intervals because that is the one fairly common suggestion I have been able to find in all my research. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that it's not the best thing to do, as I've said most of the info on keeping aquarium fish I find is very contradictory, and is very frustrating. I had some problems cycling the tank in the beginning and felt the water changes were making my initial subpar water conditions more tolerable for my fish.

thanks for the response PlatyLady. Any info is much appreciated!

Thanks for response Fruitbat.

Bacterial infection seems like a less likely cause than an attacker, as the affected fish all looked healthy up until they lost the eye and even afterwards. Unless the disease can cause the eye loss symptom so rapidly, but I'm not familiar with the illness you mentioned. I will remove the knife fish and treat the tank accordingly just to be on the safe side.

Thanks again.

Thanks for response Fruitbat.

Bacterial infection seems like a less likely cause than an attacker, as the affected fish all looked healthy up until they lost the eye and even afterwards. Unless the disease can cause the eye loss symptom so rapidly, but I'm not familiar with the illness you mentioned. I will remove the knife fish and treat the tank accordingly just to be on the safe side.

Thanks again.

Zshainya, I do agree with PlatyLady that maybe that 50% weekly water change is a bit much. I think 20-25% weekly is standard. I have only done a 50% water change twice in the last four months--once after I finished treating ich with meds, and I wanted to clear the meds out of the water (I also used carbon in the filter to do this); and another time when I had a molly die of an unknown cause.

You could post a separate thread in the general forum asking about water change percentages...I'm sure you'd get a lot of responses.

Back
Top Bottom