Fish lost his scales!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryukins

Aquarium Advice Activist
Tonight when I got home I could not find one of my fish in the tank. I looked around a bit and found one of my fish got stuck in one of the decorations! Luckily he is still alive but I don't know how long he was stuck there and how he even squeezed into the ornament! After I freed him I saw that he is missing many scales on both sides of his body. He probably lost them from trying to swim out :(

Any advice on what I should do?

This was so shocking and sad!

Attachments

• image-2416941676.jpg
    image-2416941676.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 110
  • image-4106985947.jpg
    image-4106985947.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 115
  • image-2816784650.jpg
    image-2816784650.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 130
As with most mechanical injuries you should maintain high water quality. Some people will add some aquarium salt (mgso4) to keep their slime coat a little thicker. They will heal and some of the scales will grow back.

Be prompt in treating any secondary infections with fungicide and antibiotics. I always keep some tetracycline, fungicide formula, and parasite medication on hand.

Last edited:
I have some pimafix on hand . Should I add it or will it stress the fish?

I have had better results with just using salt treatment and extra water changes with physical wounds. You know I have that very same pagoda decoration and my smaller black moor has gotten caught in there before as well. I put a few rocks into the base opening so she couldn't get into it again.

Oh wow you also had a goldfish get stuck in it ? :(

How is he doing now? Did he recover ok?

I have removed that decoration from the tank. I don't think I will put it back in...

YES! Same decoration same problem....."She" recovered just fine lost a few scales and tore her fin. A week of salt treatment and she was like new. With that said she hadn't lost as many scales as your little fellow. I am sure your will be fine with great water quality and salt TX. Just watch closely for possible infection and behavior changes.

He will be fine with some aq salt & some extra water changes! Nosy goldfish can get themselves stuck in quite a few (surprising) places! Nothing else special needed. Just keep an eye on him- the scales should grow back without an issue in the next 2kws or so.

i agree,salt treatment and water changes is the way to go. i've used it on my shark(who lost most of his fins to a swordtail. yes,thats right,a swordtail) and my paradise fish(who lost his tail to a school of black skirts). they both healed up quite well(and fast,to)

Thanks for the advice. I'm happy to hear about the recovery stories of all your fish. Good that they are doing fine now :)

These goldfish will do anything for food!! They really are pigs with fins.

Back
Top Bottom