Fish Rubbing Against Objects

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jones2w

Aquarium Advice Regular
A couple of my fish seem to be rubbing up against the driftwood rocks and plants...any reason for this ?

I have a 55Gal tank with just 6 fish to start...

4 tiger barbs
2 red tail platy

only the Tiger Barbs are rubbing stuff

some fish are just having fun by rubbing their bodies to rough surfaces, or they're having some sort of disease coming[rubbing very4 often]. ..usually a parasite that sucks up their fluids and makes them itchy. ..my cichlids do them once in a time, but now they're not doing it too frequently. ..just try to watch their bodies, are there some tiny parasite hanging, if there arent any, then i wont be worried about it too much[try too add some tank salt if necessary]

Rubbing is a sign of parasites. It should almost never be seen as the fish just playing. A lot of times they will hover, dash toward and object and turn sideways at the last moment to scrape themselves. They're scratching. It's like a dog scratching for fleas, but fish don't have paws to scratch themselves.

If it continues, suspect ich first. You can turn the temps up to 87 and increase aeration in the water and the ich will die. Sometimes you don't see ich right away as it can be in the gills. Cichlids will flash against sand to stir up the sand, the fish you have will not. Don't add salt to your tank, it isn't necessary. If it is ich heat will work alone, if it is another parasite then you can treat the tank with meds. Ich is the most common parasite though.

Moved to unhealthy fish forum.

Zagz said:
If it continues, suspect ich first. You can turn the temps up to 87 and increase aeration in the water and the ich will die. Sometimes you don't see ich right away as it can be in the gills. Cichlids will flash against sand to stir up the sand, the fish you have will not. Don't add salt to your tank, it isn't necessary. If it is ich heat will work alone, if it is another parasite then you can treat the tank with meds. Ich is the most common parasite though.

Moved to unhealthy fish forum.

Will my marineland dual temp 300 watt heater be able to get the temp up to 87??? I've had it urned all the way up for about day now and it hasnlt gotten over 81?

This is generally why quarantine tanks are used. It may not be possible for you to hike the temperature of a tank that large to that temperature. Do you have a smaller tank you can use?

Back
Top Bottom