Fish swimming at top of tank after using Jungle Ick Remedy Tablet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mathmusic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I would appreciate any help here. I have a ten-gallon freshwater tank that contains four white-fin tetras, one balloon Molly, and one Dalmatian Molly. (Not sure about any more specifics on the Molly's).

Today while completing a 25% water change, I noticed that the tetras had white spots on their fins. A quick Google search told me it could be ick.

As instructed by the Jungle Ick Remedy Tablet box, I removed the carbon filter and used one tablet. I have not put the filter back in.

All the tetras are now hanging at the top of the tank. This tells me that they are lacking oxygen, but I'm not sure how to help. Should I put the filter back in? Normally they are around the rest of the tank just chilling.

Please help.

Put the filter back, this fish are super sensitive to any mild change in the water, im impressed they didn't die after the tablets and taking out the filtration system.
Some fish are more sensitve to medications than others, try to search for the medication u are using and fish that can be actually damaged other than cured.

Ich is like a cold for us humans, it will go away and its easy to cure but if you dont take care you die.

White little dots like sugar grains all over their body can be ich for sure but other white spots (in which are relatively equal to ich) can be other type of disease and you are using the wrong medication.

Do not use CO2 systems during this process but do leave the filter since you have small fish only.

By taking the filter you are no longer providing water movement and filtration that "adds" O2 in the water, plus this medication reduces the O2 dissolution in the water so you fish are all suffocating

Did you take the WHOLE filter out or just the carbon INSERT? All that needs.to come out is the carbon aa it removea the medication from the water. Your filter itself should be left running to provide water movement and aerarion to your tank

Medication will often reduce oxygen content in the water, so your assumption about them lacking oxygen could be right.

Presuming you took out the carbon, but left the filter in and running, you need to increase the surface agitation to get better gas exchange at the surface. An airstone would do this or failing that lowering the surface level of the water should also achieve more surface agitation.

Back
Top Bottom