Flashing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I was doing my daily routine of checking my tanks and I noticed in my planted 20H, my fish were flashing, so I checked my parameters, ph 7.4, ammo.25, trites.25, and trates 0-5.0..so I immediately did a 50% PWC waited over 1 hour retest, test fine now but I still did another PWC....while soing so, I noticed against my glass ity bity white stuff ....it can make tank glass look dirty...so I rubbed it off and tried siphoning it out too....what is the most common reason and the easiest treatment?

Geronica said:
Hi, I was doing my daily routine of checking my tanks and I noticed in my planted 20H, my fish were flashing, so I checked my parameters, ph 7.4, ammo.25, trites.25, and trates 0-5.0..so I immediately did a 50% PWC waited over 1 hour retest, test fine now but I still did another PWC....while soing so, I noticed against my glass ity bity white stuff ....it can make tank glass look dirty...so I rubbed it off and tried siphoning it out too....what is the most common reason and the easiest treatment?

Do any of your fish look like they've been sprinkled with sugar? If so its probably ish & the best treatment from what I understand is to slowly raise the temp over 24 hrs to 86F, leave it at that temp for at least a week after the last spot is seen. Do frequent water changes & good vacuuming. If that doesn't appear to be what it is let us know so hopefully someone can direct you better.

no, no ich...i Have seen how that appears on fish...they do not have anything visible to the naked eye...just flashing....I read upon different parasites do not like higher temps so I turned the heater to 79 (was at 75/76)and now they have had 2 50% PWC so I do not know what else to do..any suggestions if they keep doing it?

Geronica said:
no, no ich...i Have seen how that appears on fish...they do not have anything visible to the naked eye...just flashing....I read upon different parasites do not like higher temps so I turned the heater to 79 (was at 75/76)and now they have had 2 50% PWC so I do not know what else to do..any suggestions if they keep doing it?

Definitely sounds like a parasite but I don't know which & I'd be reluctant on meds without knowing. Hopefully someone more experienced in that area will chime in.

well I hope turning the heat up a little does something on the good side of this....my guppies are swimming like they normally do for now after the 2nd PWC...open for suggestions

also any guess at..."I noticed against my glass ity bity white stuff ....it can make tank glass look dirty...so I rubbed it off and tried siphoning it out too"

update already: guppies starting to do it again...they seem like they have an itch they cannot scratch

Geronica said:
well I hope turning the heat up a little does something on the good side of this....my guppies are swimming like they normally do for now after the 2nd PWC...open for suggestions

also any guess at..."I noticed against my glass ity bity white stuff ....it can make tank glass look dirty...so I rubbed it off and tried siphoning it out too"

update already: guppies starting to do it again...they seem like they have an itch they cannot scratch

I had some teeny tiny white worm like creatures that I believe were planaria. I had to look really really closely to see them squiggling. My understanding is they're from over feeding & are harmless. I did good vacuuming & a couple water changes, less feeding & they're gone. Don't know if that's what you have or not. Ich can 1st start in the gills where you can't see it so I'd say its still a possibility. If it is Ich it'll get worse before getting better. There are general parasite meds but I've never used them.

Hmm okay this is something I didnt know ''ich can start in gills".....I can't use salt If it later turns out to be ich...I researched aquarium salt And live plants....said plants don't like it at all and Its risky....I'm stuck don't know what to do next

Geronica said:
Hmm okay this is something I didnt know ''ich can start in gills".....I can't use salt If it later turns out to be ich...I researched aquarium salt And live plants....said plants don't like it at all and Its risky....I'm stuck don't know what to do next

If it is Ich the heat alone typically takes care of it but there's talk of a heat resistant strain. I'd keep a close eye on them & if it changes then look for something more. If you can move them to a QT tank you could add the salt & if your main tank doesn't have any fish the Ich, from my understanding will die out because there's no host.

hmmm okay...welll I have baby platy in qt atm...so hopefully in a week the others can join them if I have to use salt..fingers crossed that I wont have to do anything

My guppies have done this and I even saw my peacock gudgeon do it a few times. They are otherwise normal. No idea why some fish do this, esp with no other symptoms.

Well,after 2 50% PWC and getting tank to 80 degrees, yesterday..NO ONE is flashing anymore....yay...glad I didn't jump the gun and start dosing things ...thanks to those that replied

Back
Top Bottom