Fungal problem ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melosu58

SW REEF 20+ YEARS
Just wanted to ask a question. One of my wife`s FW tank has a couple of fish with cottony tufts on them. My SW experience tells me that it is possibly a fungal infection. I`m getting ready to do a 25% PWC and I think I`ll go down and get some pimafix. Am I doing right or is there something else I should do. I know pimafix is for fungal problems. Any other suggestions?

Fancy meeting you here. ;)

Pimafix is a pretty mild medication, as in using it won't stress the fish. I've had pretty good success with it in the past and I think it's a good starting point for treating fungus- if it isn't strong enough you can always add something stronger later (I've had stronger meds mess with the bio filter, so that's why I say this). Remove any carbon, of course, before you treat, and depending on your regular water change schedule I'd do more like a 40% water change. Super clean water is helpful for fungal infection, and according to the directions you aren't supposed to change water until after the treatment ends (7 days if I recall correctly). Follow the treatment with another large water change, and treat again if necessary. Good luck!

If the Pimafix doesn't clear it up, grab some Quick Cure (Malachite green/formalin mixture). I've used this before on many freshwater fish and it obliterates fungus in less than a days time in most cases. It is strong, so I'd only use it if Pimafix doesn't work.

What kind of fish are infected?

Yes it is strong. If you have tetras or delicate fish in the tank and it comes to the point where you need the Quick Cure, remember to use a half dose. But Pima has worked well for me in the past so it will probably be ok.

Back
Top Bottom