Gold Mystery/Apple Snail excreting mucous?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexRoth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Gold Mystery/Apple snail. It's excreting what looks to be long strands of mucous. I thought it was something they did to breed, but now it's become clear from the amount of it that it's abnormal. I'm wondering if this is a side effect of accidental overfeeding?
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
I don't have the ammonia, nitrates, or nitrite, but the water has just been changed so the pH should be close to neutral and the temperature is just above 80F, about 85F
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
The tank is a 4 gallon, and has been set up for about two months.
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Marina i25 internal filter
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
1 (fairly docile) Betta, about two inches
3 orange Glow tetras, about one inch each
2 Golden mystery snails, maybe an inch top to bottom.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

Yesterday, about once every month or month and a half, and 25-50%
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
I've had this fish for about a month and a half, but moved it from an old tank to a new one and acclimated it by floating it for fifteen to twenty minutes and netting it in.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
The only new thing is the filter.
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
I fed it a whole algae thin yesterday. The thins are about a centemeter or two in diameter, so I figured it wouldn't be too much?

Attachments

• 20130628_201507.jpg
    20130628_201507.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 85
Back
Top Bottom