Goldfish body very swollen... help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattfraser

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I have a small tank.....12"long with only 1 goldfish in it.
Has stones at the bottom, couple of peices of rock and some live plant.
Have notices over the last few days that the goldfishes body has swollen alot. Does anyone know what this might be and how to help the little fella?

Picture attached for identity purposes as it's not very good (taken with phone) You cant see the swelling much in it!

Cheers

Matt

Attachments

• image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 117
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 150
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 256
HAHA, the reason for the many pictures is i thought it wasn't attaching them, sorry :)

Ok first thing I have to ask is if the scales are sticking out at all from the body? If not is the fish having difficulty swimming upright? Goldfish are prone to swim bladder difficulties. I would feed some frozen peas in case of constipation. Skin the peas and make bite size and throw in the tank. You can add some epsom salts to help with draining fluid if it is fluid in the goldie. Is he still eating? What are your water parameters? Water parameters can bring on swim bladder illnesses. I have goldies and have learned the hard way different ways to treat bloating.

Hi

Water has been tested and is all okay.
He is still eating
Is swimming fine
No scales are sticking out

??????????

K feed peas as soon as possible, might be simple constipation. If you have some epsom salts you can add those to the water, if not no biggy. Feeding the peas might just do the trick.

When you say water is ok, what are the exact parameters for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

mattfraser, take a look at the scales again. Are you sure that they are still parallel with the fish? Are they beginning to be raised at all? Here is a good site with a few pictures for you, for reference.

http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#Dropsy

IMO, it looks like your goldfish may have the beginning signs of dropsy, but with the little bluriness in your picture, it's hard to tell for sure.

Or, like Zagz said, could just be extremely constipated.

Best of luck.

Hard to tell from the pic ...... What kind of goldie is it? If a common red cap, then the scales may be a bit too prominent .... but if a pearl scale, would be normal. Can we see a pic directly overhead ... gives a better idea with 2 views.

However, peas is a good idea ... no harm i that & will cure constipation.

Finally, how big is the fish? & how old? Is it a "SHE"? A female might be full of eggs <a bit early, but getting close to spring & mating season.>

Hi

I think it is a redcap, though not positive.
The fish is about 2inches long (not counting tail)
The fish was bought about 2.5 years ago.

Shall check the scales again later when i get home. Might try another photo....see if i can get a clearer one.

Matt

One other question - how long has this been going on? We also need your water parameters - specifically NO3 level (I assume you have zero NO2 & NH3), pH (comapre that to your tap, be sure you have not had a pH crash), temperature.... etc. You msut fix the water before anything else.

Definitly do a careful examination of the fish before jumping into treatment ....
I would not treat for dropsy unless you are sure. The treatment itself can be stressful to the fish and somewhat risky, but in general involve - epsom salt in water, high temperature (86F) with good aeration, AND antibiotics (injected or in food - won't work if you just add to water). Prognosis is not good but is worth a try. More details here: http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/disease/symptom/byname.htm#dropsy
<The article is a bit of a mess, but has good info that I have not seen elsewhere, & is specific to goldies.>

I would think that exposing the goldfish to extremely high temps would do more stress to the fish than the "stressful" treatment?

I've succesfully cured a fantail goldfish of dropsy, almost twice (it died during the second treatment), by using nothing but meds added to the water. Jungle Fungus Clear, or Maracyn 2. I would think that this would be a better course of action, along with the addition of epsom salt, than raising the temperature that high for a goldish. Medicated foods would be a good way, but fish do not always take to it so easily.

Thoughts?

I have not attempted the heat treatment with goldies, for the same reason you mentioned. I have successfully cured 4 goldies with swim bladder illness with epsom salts, peas and Maracyn II.

Fancies can stand higher temp then commons. I had push the temp up to 84 or so with mine without obvious problems. But higher than that is definitely stressful. That's one reason I would not treat unless sure of the diagnosis.

I think the safest treatment would be antibiotic food. But even then I'd like to be sure what is going on first.

Back
Top Bottom