goldfish has anchor worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so basically I noticed my goldfish has a small twig like thing sticking out the top left side of him. I can see it inside him as well. What do I do?

Things I have done would just be adding half a tablet of tetra paraside guard. I put in half because its only a 5 gallon tank. It says dose every 48 hours or something like that.

P.s. The tank has two goldfish, and they are small but I know will grow bigger. I am aware they will need a bigger tank..

They are from walmart (i wanted to save them from walmart and a possible 1 gallon bowl that I am sure someone would put them in, it is walmart after all).

They are about a week or so old in the tank, possibly two weeks.

Tank parameters check out fine. I forgot the numbers...

Hi again Brandon! The best treatment for anchor worm is potassium permagnate followed with the removal of the worm with tweezers (if you are able to do this). A course of of med antibiotic food such as metromeds should be followed to eliminate secondary infections due to the internal damage worms cause. Unfortunately, as i have already previously mentioned, 2 goldfish in a 5 gal is a recipe for disaster. I also dont know if you can mix potassium permgn with the stuff you have already used. You really need to address your present tank situation for the sake of the health of your fish.

Hmm, ok. Thanks! I heard of a few success storys of parasite guard, and I also heard manual removing the worm may cause damage to the fish because of the worm attatching to the flesh etc. yea, I still do need a bigger tank.

Well, you have to wait for the worms to die from the meds first before attempting removal (if at all due to the stress it causes the fish). I dont know if the parasite guard will work against anchor worms but you are welcome to give it a try.

I have simply removed the manually without issues.

Get them upgraded as soon as possible. Until you do you will simply face problem after problem.

Back
Top Bottom