Goldfish warts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xsabrefe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Two of my wife's goldfish have developed what can best be described as warts - irregularly shaped lumps on their sides or just behind their eyes. They are not fuzzy or ulcerous, nor is there any sign of parasites - just odd looking lumps. The fish do not appear to be in any distress - they don't rub or scratch them on anything. They don't even seem to know the lumps are there. The largest has had them for months, the middle one just developed one.
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Water temp is 72 deg but that's all I know - not the fish person.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
Tank is 50 gallon and has been in place for 5+ years.
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Filter is a Topfin 60, gph unknown.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
3 goldfish ranging from 4-7" minus tails
1 plecostamus 8"
4 pedigree unknown 1 1/2"
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Water change/gravel vacuum performed weekly with 1/2 - 2/3 water removed each time.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
All fish have been in the tank for years
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
Nothing new
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Flakes and pellets, nothing new

The fish don't appear to be in any sort of discomfort. The lumps are just ugly and disfiguring. Just wondering if they're anything to worry about and if there is anything that can be done to clear them up.

Attachments

• 101_1833.jpg
    101_1833.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 953
  • 101_1838.jpg
    101_1838.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 2,370
Last edited:
Welcome to AA!!! If you can find out what your parameters are (ammonnia, nitrite, nitrate & ph), this would be very helpful in addressing any water quality issues.

It looks like your fish may have carp pox. Its similar to the herpes virus in humans. Its not deadly but it is disfiguring and it will spread among the various goldfish. As there is no treatment for this, keeping the water conditions pristine (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, less than 20 nitrate, preferably under 10ppm) and feeding a healthy, nutritious diet are the best options for keeping their immune system functioning optimally to fight the virus. Please ask if you have questions!

http://www.koiquest.co.uk/Cpox.pdf

Back
Top Bottom