Goldfish Won't Move?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Random Fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
My goldfish won't move like he normally does! He's sitting at the bottom of the aquarium and doing nothing. He would normally be swimming around in my tank pecking at the bottom or just floating. Can someone tell me if he's sick or what? I've never seen him like this before. Here's a pic. Hopefully it can help.

Attachments

• image-209292657.jpg
    image-209292657.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 132
Could you post you water parameters please, such as ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates? More often than not deteriorating water conditions leads toward illness and disease.

Last edited:
Could you post you water parameters please, such as ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates? More often than not deteriorating water conditions lead towards illness and disease.

+1

Parameters, as well as tank size, stock, diet and water change schedule will help! Bottom sitting in fancies is a classic sign of serious water quality issues.

+1

Parameters, as well as tank size, stock, diet and water change schedule will help! Bottom sitting in fancies is a classic sign of serious water quality issues.

In that case should I do a 100% water change? My strips test a lot of things but not ammonia sadly. My ph is 7.2 and I will post my other stats shortly. Btw here's a pic of my test kit.

Attachments

• image-2045474350.jpg
    image-2045474350.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 121
Strips are inaccurate at best but based on what it looks like, your ph has bottomed out completely, alkalinity is zero and there's no nitrite or nitrate. Which indicates your ammonia is likely sky high.

Can you please answer the questions posted above- tank size, stocking, water change schedule and diet? It's difficult to advise without knowing anything about your situation.

Is this a relatively new aquarium or has is been set up for awhile, a timeline could also help to determine where your at possibly in the beginning stages of the nitrogen cycle.

Last edited:
Is this a relatively new aquarium or has is been set up for awhile, a timeline could also help to determine where your at possibly in the beginning stages of the nitrogen cycle.

It's a relatively new tank that I brought about 1 and a half weeks ago.

Strips are inaccurate at best but based on what it looks like, your ph has bottomed out completely, alkalinity is zero and there's no nitrite or nitrate. Which indicates your ammonia is likely sky high.

Can you please answer the questions posted above- tank size, stocking, water change schedule and diet? It's difficult to advise without knowing anything about your situation.

23 gallons, they feed mainly on flakes and sometimes sinking pellets with the ocasional sinking algae wafer. One oranda goldfish,a Molly,a mystery snail,Pleco,flounder, and pictus catfish. And I don't do water changes very often.

It's a relatively new tank that I brought about 1 and a half weeks ago.

Then I'm sure the ammonia levels are sky high during this initial phase of the nitrogen cycle.

Here is a good link on cycling.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

I would be peforming daily water changes in excess of 50% to control the ammonia levels, a fish in cycle takes roughly 4-6 weeks. Then I would look into the API test kit, this will allow you to monitor daily levels and change water appropriately based on current water parameters.

API Freshwater Master Test Kit:Amazon:pet Supplies

Then you need to get your stock sorted out, that's a ton of fish in a small tank. Especially as the fish start to grow to bioload will only increase potentially causing more issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlk
Yeah your tank isn't cycled... That's a lot if fish for a fully established 23 gallon, let alone one that just started the cycling process. Your fancy is feeling the effects if it.

Update: turns out that he wasn't moving because he was contracting a fungus. :( looks like my catfish caught it too. I will cycle my tank so thanks for your help guys :)

I'm guessing you're planning on putting your fish through a fish in cycle?

Fungus is typically caused by poor water quality and may also be secondary to bacterial infections. The tank is not cycled and heavily overstocked so unhealthy water is the number one issue here. I would start doing big wcs a few times a day until you can address your stocking situation which needs to be done as soon as possible. A good liquid test kit will must as well. please ask if you have questions!

Fungus is typically caused by poor water quality and may also be secondary to bacterial infections. The tank is not cycled and heavily overstocked so unhealthy water is the number one issue here. I would start doing big wcs a few times a day until you can address your stocking situation which needs to be done as soon as possible. A good liquid test kit will must as well. please ask if you have questions!

Ok thanks so much, I really apperciate it. :D

I actually have a question. The thing I called a "fungus" on the fish. Is it really a fungus? I can't tell anymore. It's spread to my Pleco and my Molly is immune to it???? Here's what I see on my fish. It the white dots. If you guys know what it is please tell me.

Attachments

• image-3399419371.jpg
    image-3399419371.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 67
  • image-358235205.jpg
    image-358235205.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 65
Looks like Ichthyophthirius multifiliis, a external parasite commonly known as Ich. Here is a good link on treatment.

Understanding and Treating Ich or White Spot

Omg what would I do without this website? Thanks so much. I'm considering raising the temperture and killing ich with it. According to the site you linked me to it says to just raise the temp and that's it right? Just trying to simplify it for myself

Yes I don't use medications for the treatment of ich, just heat and salt for 10-14 days does the trick. With this method you'll also be doing water changes which is also a good thing. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Back
Top Bottom