Golfish fin tears?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper26

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a fantail goldfish, and i noticed a tear on his fins. I started treating him for fin rot, and have been for almost a week, but the tears keep becoming more plentiful. Is it actually fin rot or something else?

What size tank?

Tank mates?

Water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temp)?

How long has the tank been established?

How long have you had the fish?

can you post a picture is there any red around the tears and what are you using to treat him if its not an infection i have great results with melafix

Tank Mates?

I've had him for over a year and he's only with another goldfish. I'll try melafix

Water conditions are all normal, hes in a 10g tank. The tanks been established for over a year

Water parameters are "normal"? What is normal? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH?

2 goldfish in a 10 gallon?!?thats way overstocked
could be an honest mistake just give him the golden rule 20 gallons for the first goldfish and 10 gallons for every additional do you have a test kit if not its ok its just a good idea to pick one up it can help us tell you what might be wrong

I am going to upgrade it over the summer when I get a job. Ammonia nitrite and nitrate are 0 ppm. Ph is 6.8

i know its probably an honest mistake(i blame the petstores)but its nice to edjucate people,especially if it saves fishies

for sure i agree.

thats very strange you have no nitrate reading with goldfish did you just do a major water change? ph is fine as long as its steady. do you have a heater i know they are "cold water" fish but mine do a lot better in warmer water. you can grab a cheap one at walmart for 15-20 dollars for your size tank. warmer waters will also help healing time. one more thing i know iam rambling on but can you post a picture of him?

I did a water change yesterday, so that might be why. Do u want a picture of the whole fish or just the tail?

Sorry about the blurr, it was the best I could get

Attachments

• image-2280556107.jpg
    image-2280556107.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 44
  • image-2450128279.jpg
    image-2450128279.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 44
it dosent look infected i would say he tore it on a decoration ex out the fin rot meds and go on to the melafix and possibly a small heater both can be found at wall mart pretty cheap the heater will help prevent infection in the tear imo

Thanks, that's what I was most curious about, because here wasn't any actually loss of fins. Thanks so much!!!

Back
Top Bottom