Gourami help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ella18

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I'm hoping that someone out there can give me some help/advice in dealing with a sick gourami.I recently bought a second hand 6ft tank including fish.When I checked what fish were in there I was surprised to see 4 Blue gourami and various tetras being kept with tiger barbs and cichlid (everything I have read up on has said that the barbs and cichlid would nip the gourami).Anyway I seperated them straight away, cycled the tank, amonia/ nitrate levels at zero and then added the fish.All the other fish in the tank look very happy/healthy except one of the gourami who is resting at the bottom of the tank and has very tatty fins and red in his side fins.He is still eating properly, swims normally when I approach but just doesn't look as healthy as the others.I have added stress coat and checked amonia levels in the tank to rule out poisoning but he is still looking under the weather.My initial thought was that he was picked on by the cichlid/barbs especially as they were all kept in a relatively small container for transport before i realized what was in there combined with the general stress of the move and change of home.Does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions on what I should do??

I'm not really sure why that happening.. best bet is nipping and stress

the best way to help them is to keep the water crystal clear .. I would suggest water changes ever 2-3 days .. use water conditioner does that is equal to the whole tank volume not just amour you change out. keep on eye on them and watch for changes or infections

what is the tank temp?
do you have hiding places?
live plants ?

The water is crystal clear at the moment but I will try a water change in a few days with a conditioner.Its at 26 degrees and has plenty of hiding spaces and plenty of live plants as well as some fake ones.I have been watching them (almost obsessively) for the past 4 days and all the other fish look fine.I was also thinking that this might be a male gourami, but I cant tell due to the nipped fins and the other male might of been bothering it but they seem to all get along peacefully.Hopefully with some peace and quiet, now that all the fish in the tank and peaceful he will recover.

Back
Top Bottom