green barb injured/picked on!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clay16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi yall. my smallest of 3 green barbs (have 3 tigers as well) has been picked on a lot recently and today he isn't doing well. :( he has gotten his tail nipped off it seems Like help what should I do.
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: .25 (water changes frequently to lower)
Ph: 7.4
Temp: 75-77
In a 55 gallon.

Thank you.
Seems like my photo isn't uploading but I will get one up soon.

The best thing you can do is frequent water changes to rid the tank of ammonia. Tigers are aggressive anyway, but in less than pristine water, they'll get even crankier. It's also not unusual for that species to attack each other. I had them and once I saw their constant bickering, I couldn't rehome them quick enough.

You might try soaking their food in Garlic Guard to help boost the immune system.

Yeah i have been doing water changes every 1-2 days to get it down...

heres what the little fella is looking like.

Attachments

• 2011-10-05_13.01.38.jpg
    2011-10-05_13.01.38.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 2011-10-05_13.01.25.jpg
    2011-10-05_13.01.25.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 53
There's may not be much you can do except to rehome it, or add a couple more barbs. The smallest is low man on the totem pole and Barbs are notorious for picking on the weakest member of the shoal. Upkeep on the water conditions may help... But I think in this case, the other Barbs see it as the weakest.
Adding a couple more Barbs may help divert attention, but there's no guarantees.

Back
Top Bottom