guppy loss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessibell

Aquarium Advice Activist
This morning I woke to find one of my female fancy guppies dead. Last night I inspected them and they all seemed very happy and healthy and vigorous.

I tested the water and found a trace amount of ammonia (0.25 mg/L) and a trace amount of nitrates (less than 5 mg/L) Ammonia in this tank was unheard of, but I did add a couple more fish a few days ago so I figured this was why. Before I added the fish I did a 50% water change. I did another one just now, and replaced the carbon (I was treating the tank previously) The fish that died was a fish I have had for some time and always looked healthy. Also one of my favorites :(

Now, I did loose another fish yesterday, but he was looking ill BEFORE I added the new fish. And the other fish I brought home I lost because she was roughed up really bad. I have seen no sign of fungus in the tank since I started treating with melafix/pimafix two weeks ago.

I try to pick out healthy fish at the pet store but there's just no getting around it, they are often sickly. One of my older fry (about 5 months old) is showing some fin clamping. All I can think of is to keep monitoring the waer and doing frequent PWCs.

no I don't have a qt tank at the moment. Once I'm in university I will set one up, but for now I just have to take those chances. I'm hoping that eventually I will have enough growing fry that I won't need to get new stock from the pet stores.

I know about ich and visible bacteria like fungus, but I assume there are other diseases that cannot be detected visibly. This one seemed to die suddenly with no indication of illness, past or present.

Yeah I was kinda wondering about parasites. I know we worm all the other animals around here, so what about fish?

Right now I am calling it quits with new fish. I have a ton of fry that seem fairly healthy in another tank and hopefully the guppies I have left are fairly hardy. If they all die before I got to university I will clean out the tank and start it up again in september. I'll have way better selection for fish in Kamloops anyway.

Back
Top Bottom