HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dogpython

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ive had five fish for about 5 months and all of a sudden they all appear sick, they are just staying on the bottom of the tank and very slow, with the exception of darting around the tank, its a ten gallon with 2 platy, a gourami, oto, and a cory (which is the worst off and upside down at the bottom) HELP!!

Make a big water change! At least 50%! Sounds like your fish are getting poisoned! How are your water parameters, ammonia, nitrite, pH, kH? How often do you do water changes?

Yes do a massive water change as soon as possible! It sounds as though you are having an ammonia spike and they fish are getting poisioned as Tiffi says. How long have they been showing signs of problems?

yes, a water change is the best way to go. Water parameters would really come in handy for everyone to determine the problem. Good luck!

did a 50% water change today, should i do one again tomorrow?
just tested the levels:
ammonia-.25
pH-8.4
alk-300
GH-25
nitrite-0
nitrate-40
thanks!!

Keep checking your ammonia keep it under 1. If your fish still look stressed tomorrow another 50% change will not hurt.

IMO it never hurts to do a water change. When there is ammonia present it is always a good thing. Good luck.

its seems like the "stronger" ones are staying at the top and the other "sicker" ones are at the bottom, one is just floating at the bottom upside down, is it too late to save him?

I'd say do a 30-50% water change every day or every other day til the tank cycles. Just remember since you have fish in the tank, it's going to be a lot more work to cycle than if you did a fishless cycle.

Just remember since you have fish in the tank, it's going to be a lot more work to cycle than if you did a fishless cycle.
I'm not sure if it's a cycle, nevertheless, he had that tank for about 5 months already!

Are you using any dechlorinator when you change your water?

yes, i am using declor, im very confused as to what happened, it seemed to be ok, then all of a sudden the condition seemed to worsen almost overnight, lost one fish last night :cry: thanks for the help

That is quite high. I would get some activated carbon in your tank asap, to soak up any possible contaminants in the water. Any chance someone could have accidentally put, dropped, or spilled anything into the tank?

Quote:

pH-8.4

That is quite high.
that's what I first thought too, but he had the fishes since 5 months and now it's all at once. But you're right Devilishturtles lowering the pH in the long run should be considered too. Maybe get some peat moss when this is over and put it into your filter. Right now we don't want to stress your fishes with a change in pH I would say.

havent added any new furniture, did change the filter, but it was a week or so ago, checked the ammonia today, its still .25
thanks for all of the help!!

To bring the ph down naturally, have you thought about a small piece of driftwood? The tannins will discolor the water at first, but with the use of AC, it will remove some. I put driftwood in my small tank and it stays at around 7.2, and my big tank had driftwood and has been rock steady at 7.0.

Back
Top Bottom