Help Fast!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andos99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of my rainbows has a cherry shrimp lodged in his throat!! I can see the tentacles sticking out of this mouth. It doesn't look like the shrimp is going anywhere........any suggestions????

He seems to working it down very slowly.....I'm so worried, he's my favorite fish! I just read somewhere that rainbows have especially narrow throats so that can't help. Not to mention, the expense of that meal.....$3.00! I've had cherry shrimp in my tank for quite some time and that is the first time I've seen any of my fish try to eat one. Strange.

I have 9 various rainbows. My three turquoise rainbows have a bad habit of grabbing the pellets for the bottom feeders. They get them in their mouth and swim around with their mouth open. It lasts until they are able to digest the item. None of them have had any negative impact from the large meals. I think you should just be able to wait it out.

I hope he makes it, hopefully he won't eat any more shrimp, unless you provide some cocktail sauce. :p

im sorry, but that's really funny. my killifish once caught an algae wafer in his mouth and swam around with it in his mouth until he finally spit it out.

dnaelting said:
My three turquoise rainbows have a bad habit of grabbing the pellets for the bottom feeders. They get them in their mouth and swim around with their mouth open. It lasts until they are able to digest the item. None of them have had any negative impact from the large meals.
My rainbows and giant danios do the same thing with shrimp pellets and carnivore pellets.

so first of all ... $3 for a cherry shrimp?? WOW!

Second of all, as jersysman asked, why type of rainbow ... if it was more of the dwarf species i would be concerned, however, if it is not a dwarf species theni would not be TOO concerned about it. I would personally watch the rainbowfish closely to see if it happens to gain any odd side effects. That is really the best that you can do

Thanks for all the comments! I watched him very closely until I had to go work and he slowly managed to choke it down, it was quite humorous actually. He is an almost full grown Goyder River variety, I don't know the exact species (about 3.5''). He just swam around with his mouth open wide and it crept it's way down the hatch. I'm just glad he's ok....I paid a ton for these rainbows!

Back
Top Bottom